Monday, May 20, 2013

Fast & Furious



Runtime: 107 minutes

Directed by: Justin Lin

Starring: Vin Diesel, Paul Walker, Jordana Brewster, Michelle Rodriguez

From: Universal

Finally, I am caught up on what I've watched as of late. It hasn't been movie-watching time the past few nights, so that is why I am caught up. It was my first time watching this film, one that apparently people don't like... as if the rest of the moveis in this series are high works of art or are beloved by everyone.

The plot is that Dom Toretto (Diesel) and the rest of the gang return as he and Brian O'Conner (Walker) are both looking for the same big-time heroin dealer who operates along the Mexico border in California and in fact uses drivers to smuggle drugs via an underground tunnel; O'Conner is looking for him because he's now an FBI agent; I know, I know. Dom is looking for him as his girlfriend Letty (Rodriguez) is said to be killed while working for the drug dealer. I say it's not a spoiler as hey, you know from the advertising for the 6th one that an important plot point is Letty returning. You never do see her dead body in the 4th one, so that would explain it... although that sort of ruins the motivation for Toretto, in hindsight.

It seems like that this gets a mixed reaction, with many saying it's the worst of the series. I disagree. Sure, it pales in comparsion to Fast Five, but many films in the action genre do, to be perfectly honest. I say that this is comparable overall to the first one, which means it's fine enough for me and an entertaining time. The band being back together is nice, and there being high stakes due to an important character (apparently) dying is important in adding drama. And, the action and the driving scenes are all nice and fun to watch. So that was enough for me to enjoy it and I did not think it was a waste of time or anything of that sort; I didn't need to see it when it came out but I did not hate watching it in 2013.

Also, I did not mind seeing Gal Galdot! She first appeared here and since then she's been a part of the series. I usually don't prefer model-thin ladies but looks-wise I think she is quite attractive. That is what I thought in Fast Five and it was nice to see her debut here.

I'll be back Wednesday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment