Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Pain & Gain




Runtime: 129 minutes

Directed by: Michael Bay

Starring: Mark Wahlberg, The Rock, Anthony Mackie, Tony Shalhoub, Ed Harris

From: Paramount

Last night I went to a drive-in in Lakeland. Yes, some are still around, and I've been to the Silver Moon a handful of times since I moved to Florida. They've been around since the late 40's, if you can believe it. I decided to see this film and another one. I'll talk about the other one tomorrow afternoon, but I did not enjoy that as much as I liked this, that is for sure.

The plot: It is based on a true story-how much of it was true, I don't know; I hope it was almost all factual as how could you make up such bizarre details unless it was true?-of a trio of bodybuilders (Wahlberg, Rock, Mackie) who decide to kidnap a rich A-hole (Shalhoub) in order to get a quick payday, as all three feel they are entitled to be rich and famous, and while they are quite ambitious, their intelligence does not match their ambition at all and that results in many complications and there's a comedy of errors as they end up in really strange situations.

I understand why this motion picture isn't for everyone. This is a real sordid tale and as told, most of the people you come across are various degrees of D-bag and A-hole. Ed Harris and his private detective character at least is a normal old guy who is dedicated to his job and doing it well. I am able to get over the characters but I do get why that would be an issue for some people, if not a lot of people. I was also entranced by the story as before the movie I had no knowledge of the true story so I was always interested in seeing where it would end up and why at the beginning you see part of the ending and Marky Mark running away from the cops.

I also get why people wouldn't care for the over the top way this was told. It's in your face and crazy but to me it seems to fit the story, between all the narration you hear from the characters (as if it was Goodfellas or something) and the graphics that sometimes appear. It seems to be appropriate for this kind of over the top story. I usually don't care for Bay's films (to put it nicely; most of them aren't worthy of being seen by me) but he and his bombastic nature seems like a good fit for this real life horror story.

Again, I get why this is for acquired tastes. The story you see told here is quite horrifying, as the bodybuilders end up doing some repugnant gross things to try and make it rich and keep their dough. But for me and how I tend to dig darkly comic tales (even the real dark ones), I happened to enjoy this quite a bit, a surprise given what I think of Michael Bay in general. There are nice performances all around (Marky Mark, The Rock, and Shalhoub stand out the most to me) and now I am going to start to read this epic-length article on the true story.

Like I said, I'll be back Thursday afternoon.

1 comment:

  1. Good review Blair. It is insanely entertaining, and it feels good to be a do-er. Except if you’re a family of the real-life dead; then you may be a bit upset.

    ReplyDelete