Friday, May 3, 2013

The Girl Who Knew Too Much



Runtime: 85 minutes

Directed by: Mario Bava

Starring: Leticia Roman, John Saxon, Valentina Cortese, Titti Tomaino (believe it or not, a guy's name)

From: Galatea Film

Here is what I watched on Netflix tonight; a film that I saw identified as the first-ever giallo movie, the start of a popular sub-genre of horror in the 70's. I figured that I should watch more in the genre and there are some of those flicks on Instant so I might as well start off with the first one, right?

The plot: Nora, a tourist from New York (Roman) visits Rome to hang out with an old relative. Almost right away she croaks. She runs out of the house and panics and after she gets her purse stolen, she sees a woman get murdered. Most people think she's crazy or dreamt it up due to her love of murder mystery novels; that includes a handsome doctor she befriends (Saxon). She tries to solve the murder on her own but runs into complications...

This is definitely a Hitchcockian story more than anything else. It is more about the real good way it was filmed rather than the story, which was nonsensical at times but did have twists and turns. As it is a black and white movie the way that light and shadows was used...creative. Don't expect a lot of violence and killing in this story; it's more of a mystery as Nora tries to figure out what is going on. You can see how the sub-genre started here, with it growing and maturing into the stylized bloody movies you got in the 70's.

I was amused to see John Saxon act here as the earliest I had seen him was 10 years later in Enter the Dragon, and I also remember him from 80's movies like A Nightmare on Elm Street. Seeing him look the same except younger... something I thought I wouldn't see. I also thought I woudn't get to see a glimpse of him wearing a Speedo on an Italian beach, but that was the case. You do get a much better look at Nora in a bikini; I am glad they did it that way rather than the other way around.

So, I thought this was an entertaining-enough flick. I mean, "marijuana cigarettes" is actually a plot point! I'll be back tomorrow night.

No comments:

Post a Comment