Thursday, May 23, 2013

My Bloody Valentine (The Original)


Runtime: 93 minutes (the unrated version)

Directed by: George Mihalka

Starring: Paul Kelman, Lori Hallier, Neil “No Relation To Ben” Affleck, Keith Knight

From: Paramount

I figured it was time to go through the big pile of DVD's I have and watch something from there tonight. I went with this film, as I've seen the remake a few times and even talked about it last year. Now, here's my chance to talk about the original, a slice of Canuxploitation from Canada that has a fervent fan base and in a rare move for me, I have to praise Lionsgate for pulling the strings and convincing Paramount to have them release an unrated version rather than the R-rated version that was rated during one of the times that the MPAA cracked down on the horror genre. Sure, it's obvious when watching the unrrated version what the cut material was as the print for those scenes are of obviously poorer quality, but it's better than nothing and it's nice that a more true version could finally be seen by that fervent fanbase.

The plot isn't too dissimilar to the remake: In 1960, there's a Valentine's Day dance (an annual tradition) in the fictious town of Valentine Bluff, Nova Scotia. On that day, there was an accident in the mine that killed four people (due to the error of two men who left too early to go to the dance) and once Harry Warden was dug out of there... well, he was in bad mental shape, as you see him eat the dead people to survive. The next year he got revenge by killing the two guys who made that error; he also cut out their heart and left the message that there should never be another Valentine's Day dance, or else he'll keep on killing. The dance was cancelled and Harry was committed. Suddenly, in 1980 you see a bunch of young miners and their ladies (some of them real asstagonists; there's also a love triangle involving a dude returning to town; here, he's the son of the mayor) as the dance is brought back... only for the killings to start again and Harry to be found missing from the insane asylum. Is he the one doing the killings?

Like I said, there are some asstagonists you get to spend time with. The last film this director did before MBV was Pinball Summer, a movie I saw and reviewed last year after a podcast did a scathing review for it, mainly because they hated the A-hole protagonists and called them asstagonists, a term I have gleefully used ever since. And yes, several people from Pinball Summer have small roles in this movie. Sure, those guys in this film are annoying but eventually I was able to put up with their goofball immature ways and I was able to laugh at how dopey and silly they acted, and their love for Schlitz and Moosehead beer; you see plenty of advertising for the latter.

Overall, this is a pretty fun slasher. It's always an interesting story and there's a real mystery as to who is doing the killing. There are some fun characters, such as Hap, the bartender who is like Crazy Ralph from Friday the 13th; you know, “You're all doomed”, warning the kids of trouble, and all that. I also have to note that Axel looks like Not Aaron Eckhart and I have to give props to Hollis, who looks like Not John Candy with a giant mustache and a “Kiss My (Donkey)” hat. And yes, I enjoy the kills. You get to see in the unrated version... they are pretty nasty and gruesome. So, you'll likely enjoy the kills too if you are a slasher fan. The intentional and unintentional laughs help balance out all the horror stuff, making this quite a bit of fun for me.

I'll be back Sunday afternoon, where I'll talk about what I hope is the glory and majesty of Fast & Furious 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment