Saturday, May 11, 2013

Star Trek III: The Search For Spock



Runtime: 105 minutes

Directed by: Leonard Nimoy

Starring: William Shatner, DeForest Kelley, James Doohan, Christopher Lloyd

From: Paramount

Yep, I have gotten back to doing the original Star Trek series. For sure I know I'll see IV before Wednesday night, where I'll be watching both the '09 Star Trek and the new film on the big screen back to back. After that I'll try to watch the previous 5 Fast & The Furious films (the fifth I of course won't review as I already reviewed it) before I see the sixth on the big screen Memorial Day Weekend. I'll be back tomorrow and I will actually pick a movie themed for Mother's Day, but don't worry it's different from what you're probably thinking.

Now, onto this movie, one that of course I saw who knows how many times as a kid and more than once after I had gone through Pon Farr, so to speak. The plot you probably know already, but... Spock dies at the end of Wrath of Khan while fixing the ship. His body is placed in an empty photon torpedo and launched onto the planet just created by the Project Genesis device. Turns out, being on that planet caused Spock to be reborn; I always thought that aspect was pretty wacky and how the growth of the unstable planet matched the rapid growth of Spock from child to what he was before he died. Anyhow, a rogue Klingon Captain (Lloyd) finds out about Project Genesis so he goes to the planet to get the weapon for its destructive power, as Kirk and gang hijack the Enterprise to go to the planet also as before he died, Spock mind-melded with Bones and left all his memories with him.

While I think it's wacky how Spock was reborn and how both Lloyd and John Larroquette were Klingon's, I think this is an entertaining-enough film, even though it definitely isn't as good as Wrath of Khan. It doesn't seem as epic and the deaths you see here (including that of Kirk's son David) don't seem as impactful as you'd expect. Still, it's a fun movie to watch as there's still drama and cool moments (such as the idea of the whole Genesis project failing, as you probably shouldn't try to mess around with Mother Nature and evolution, you know), and Kelley gets to shine as a different version of Bones than usual. It's certainly better than Star Trek V. I do not know yet if I'll get a chance to watch that and VI. It depends on what's available at the videostore, which I'll probably go to tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment