Friday, May 10, 2013

The Evil Dead Remake




Runtime: 91 minutes

Directed by: Fede Alvarez

Starring: Jane Levy, Shiloh Fernandez, Lou Taylor Pucci, Jessica Lucas, Elizabeth Blackmore

From: TriStar

My apologies for getting this up real late Thursday night when I wanted to do it much earlier; at somewhat late notice I decided to go to St. Petersburg to see the Tampa Bay Rays play a baseball game and I had no time to finish this and post it before I left in the afternoon. My apologies. I will be back Saturday night.

Here is the second half of the double bill I saw Tuesday night along with Pain & Gain at the drive-in. Ever since I heard there was going to be a remake of the classic original film (which I reviewed back in2010) I thought it was an extraordinarily stupid idea, as while the original is super low-budget and goofy, that is a big part of what makes it so great, the low-fi quality and how awesome things were done despite the minimal cost. It's just a blast to watch and the special effects still work for me more than 30 years later. A remake... what a stupid idea as how can you improve on such a classic horror tale?

Well, turns out that despite all the hype it's gotten from the D-bag hipster festival known as SXSW and from horror websites/people in the community I usually trust, I ended up HATING this movie. More on why after I say that the plot here concerns 5 young people who are at a remote cabin and in this version, one of them is a drug abuser so they brought her here to make her go cold turkey, so when the fit hits the shan, at first they thought she's just going through withdrawal  and yeah, I wasn't a fan of that aspect.

Sure, this movie has a lot of gore, more than usual for a big studio horror film, at least in recent times. That's all well and good, but I really wish they would have focused as much on the script... what a terrible nonsensical script this is. I could go on and on about it but it's total crap and that was a huge turn-off for me. For example, to give a minor spoiler, the necronomicon (the book of the dead; it allowed for the evil to come to the cabin in both the original and this) is found in the basement of the house. In the original, it makes sense why that book would be in the cabin as the person who used it last disappeared after getting possessed. In this version, it's different. There is a cold open which tells a different tale and based on that, it makes zero sense why it would be found there... covered with a garbage bag and barbed wire, and random curse words in English written on the pages. Besides that making zero logical sense, why wasn't the book just hidden so that a long-haired bearded dude couldn't come across it and read the magic words that bring the evil there?

Then, there's the characters. Among the five, the bearded guy is the only one who I did not despise. The rest are total asstagonists. They are rude selfish stupid characters, especially the brother (Fernandez) of the drug user (Levy). There's conflict between he and his sister, and it's definitely understandable why she'd hate that douche. Besides that, he seemingly always does the wrong thing, and the stupidest thing at that. And somehow one of the stupid things he does... somehow works? Yeah, I got quite upset at that moment. I just don't get why this has gotten love from so many places. At least I know that some segments of the community think similarly to me in that it's vastly overrated.

No comments:

Post a Comment