Saturday, May 18, 2013

The Fast And The Furious/2 Fast 2 Furious



Runtime: 106 minutes

Directed by: Rob Cohen

Starring: Paul Walker, Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Jordana Brewster, Rick Yune

From: Universal


Runtime: 107 minutes

Directed by: John Singleton

Starring: Paul Walker, Tyrese, Eva Mendes, Cole Hauser

From: Universal

On this random Saturday night where I'm also watching a free UFC event at the same time (it's been average overall), I figured I should combine the first two movies in this franchise into one entry. I still haven't watched Tokyo Drift yet, but as it has little to do with the rest of the series, that'll be viewed sometime in the distant future, probably. It should be noted by me that I've never thought highly of the car culture presented in the franchise... you know, stupid lame-ass modding of your car, illegal dangerous street racing-which has killed innocent bystanders-having your car use NOS, and all that nonsense. I've always thought it was extraordinarilly stupid, to be honest.

Still, I always thought that the first movie was entertaining-enough. Sure, it's easy to poke fun of but it's fine. It's a standard old hot rod tale of a cop, Brian O'Connor (Walker) going undercover into that culture to try and find out who is heisting trucks with modded cars. He doesn't want to believe but turns out it's the group of people led by Dom Toretto (Diesel); the fact that Brian has fallen in love with Dom's sister Mia (Brewster) complicates things. A rival Asian gang led by Johnny Tran (Yune) is also involved.

Like I said, I always thought this was fine. All the driving is fine to watch and aside from the whole hijacking and illegal racing thing, Dom and his crew really are not THAT bad... as long as you're able to at least tolerate the culture depicted here, then this is inoffensive entertainment. I never imagined back then that the series would still be going on and it would lead to something like Fast Five.

I also saw 2 Fast 2 Furious back in the day, and I never really cared for it. The plot is that Brian O'Connor is now an ex-cop and on the run for letting Dom go instead of arresting him. He ends up in Miami and he has to help the feds on a case to bring down a drug lord; this is all done via a simple drug shipment with a pair of automobiles. Monica Fuentes (Mendes) also works for the feds and has been undercover for the past year. Brian enlists the help of his old frienemy Roman Pearce (Tyrese).

Even now, this movie was eh for me. There are some fun moments but everything just seems slight and inconsequential. There are plenty of stupid moments, too, and usually in a bad way; I don't even want to get started on the scene with the rat, an upside down bucket on Mark Boone Junior's stomach, and a blowtorch. There's plenty of CGI and a lot of it... not so hot 10 years later. I don't know what to make of the incredibly homoerotic relationship between Brian and Roman. Roman takes his shirt off when he's around Brian for no real reason, and he disapproves of the budding relationship brewing with Brian and Monica. He does not like it... is it because he wants Brian for himself? That's fine with me, homosexuality and all that; I just imagine that wasn't what the filmmakers were going for.

I know that some like this film; it's not for me. Maybe the title being so goofy is a sign as to its quality. I'll be back Monday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment