Friday, May 17, 2013

Blazing Saddles



Runtime: 93 minutes

Directed by: Mel Brooks

Starring: Clevon Little, Gene Wilder, Slim Pickens, Harvey Korman, Madeline Kahn

From: Warner Brothers

I have seen this classic spoof movie before but the last time I saw it in full was years ago, and on Wednesday night before I went to see the Star Trek doubleheader; that is why I went to Cinemark in Orlando rather than any other place that had the double header; for the past few Wednesdays they've been showing older movies on the big screen, like Raging Bull and Alien, the latter of which I saw on the big screen a few years ago. This upcoming Wednesday, Cleopatra. I've never seen that before but it's 4 hours long! I doubt I'll be checking it out. I've heard about the massive problems with that film and that may be more interesting than the actual film itself.

Anyhow, you should know the plot to this already, as I hope that most people have seen this, but in short... a corrupt politician (Korman) gets the inept governor (Brooks) to appoint the African-American Bart (Little) to be the sheriff to Rock Ridge in the hope to get all the citizens to leave as it would be cheaper for him to do it that way. Turns out, after some hesitation they end up liking him and his pal The Waco Kid (Wilder).

I've always enjoyed this movie, even as a kid (yes, I saw it when I was under 18). Sure, it's absurdist and anachronistic but it's often hilarious, with many quotable lines and memorable moments. I am sure that Spike Lee hates the film due to all the times that “the N word” gets uttered, but hey that's how it was during the time period and this is a satire so that is OK; you don't always have to be politically correct; it just depends on what it is, and I imagine there would be trouble getting a movie like this made today.

Anyhow, the crowd I saw this with was bigger than expected, so it was nice to watch a very funny movie with a crowd that laughed at all of the humorous moments. Good times. Speaking of humorous moments, I wonder what it would have been like had John Wayne accepted the offer to cameo in the movie, as was offered to him. He promised to see it but needless to say this was way out there for a conservative guy like him. I laugh how a few years ago someone said that Wayne was offered the Taggert part, played by Pickens. I think someone was confused there, but it would have been amazing to have heard The Duke utter racial slurs, been in a scene where many people pass gas due to eating beans and using phrases like “Kansas City fa****s”.

I was glad to see that movie in that way. I'll be back tomorrow night.

No comments:

Post a Comment