Saturday, June 29, 2013

The Good, The Bad, The Weird


Runtime: 130 minutes

Directed by: Kim Jee-Woon

Starring: Kang-Ho Song, Byung-Hun Lee, Woo-Sung Jung, Seung-Su Ryu

From: CJ Entertainment

I know, this is up really late, but things happen... at least I'll be talking about an awesome film that I do give the highest recommendation to those that enjoy action/adventure movies that are light in spirit but have some great setpieces, plenty of humor, a wacky and yet great musical score, and a grand prize that many people want. The director of this made his American debut with The Last Stand (review here) which I know has a mixed reaction but I did enjoy it a lot; not like this movie, but by the end of the year I am pretty sure it'll be in my Top 10 of the best of the year. To give a plot description of this version of The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly, time to go to the IMDb, with some modifications:

“Three Korean gunslingers are in Manchuria (Northeast China) during the 1930's: Do-wan (The Good), an upright bounty hunter, Chang-yi (The Bad), a thin-skinned and ruthless killer, and Tae-goo (The Weird), a train robber with nine lives. Tae-goo finds a map he's convinced leads to buried treasure; Chang-yi wants it as well for less clear reasons. Do-wan tracks the map knowing it will bring him to Chang-yi, Tae-goo, and reward money. Occupying Japanese forces and their Manchurian collaborators also want the map, as does the Ghost Market Gang who hangs out at a thieves' bazaar. These enemies cross paths frequently and dead bodies pile up. Will anyone find the map's destination and survive to tell the tale?”

The three leads dress distinctively: The Good like a cowboy crossed with Indiana Jones (boy is this better in every way than the 4th Indiana Jones movie), The Bad real stylish, and The Weird wears goofy clothing, including aviator goggles. That is just one sign of the light tone of this. Things start off great with action in a heist of a locomotive and there's plenty of action scenes and adventure to see after that.

I should mention that the setting of Manchuria (I do not know where it was actually filmed, but it was a rocky dusty desert setting; I would compare it to the deserts of Chile) was pretty great to me as it looked cool and I had never seen it before. To give a brief history lesson, during the time period Japan occupied the peninsula of Korea so in the Manchurian area you could find many Koreans, and that was a plot point here, with frequent questions of, “Are you Korean” or “Can you speak Korean?” and Korean characters did mention how they felt displaced where they were now and they wished they could go back and have their country be what it was before it was occupied. That was also interesting to me.

Like I said, this is great as an adventure film and as a badass Western movie. If you haven't seen it then you really should, as I say it's one of the most enjoyable and fun action movies of recent years anywhere in the world (it kicks the ass of many big-budget Hollywood action films in the same time period) and also one of the best. There's a section near the end (where you hear a re-recording of Santa Esmeralda's version of Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood) that is epic and I heard it described as “The Blues Brothers with horses” and I'll go with that.


I'll be back Sunday night and I should be more punctual.

No comments:

Post a Comment