Friday, June 14, 2013

Inside


Runtime: 82 minutes

Directed by: Alexandre Bustillo, Julien Maury

Starring: Alysson Paradis, Beatrice Dalle, Nathalie Roussel, Francois-Regis Marchasson

From: La Fabrique de Films

Continuing the foreign film watching for the month, I go to France and watch one of the “New Wave of French Horror”, where in the past decade there have been some films that have gotten attention for being on the extreme side. There's Martyrs, High Tension and Frontier(s), all movies I've seen before, and none of them I rated all that high. Just click on the titles to read the reviews if you wish. This one seems to get a lot of attention, for being “the best” in the category and also for being the goriest and grossest.

The plot: A pregnant woman named Sarah (Paradis) and her husband are in a car accident where he dies. Apparently the accident happened in an abandoned parking lot... but anyway, a few months later (on Christmas Eve) she is close to giving birth. On that night a mysterious woman breaks in and she has to hide in the bathroom as the woman wants Sarah's baby... so she wants to cut her open to get it. That's about it for much of the movie.

You know, I just think that I don't like recent French horror in general. Many people seem to dig this, but me... it definitely is gory and graphic and the topic it's about is pretty gross. BUT, as a whole I did not enjoy this at all. A car crash happening in what looks like an abandoned parking lot wasn't a good start for me. But, when right away you see that Sarah acts like a complete bitch for no real good reason and she continues to act like a complete bitch, why am I supposed to like her or feel bad for her plight? Then, this 82 minute long movie certainly feels longer than that. That did not make me happy.

Also, the plot is rather threadbare and there's a lot of stupid moments and twists. Some of these make Sarah look not only like a loathsome bitch, but a stupid one too. I hate to have to use misogyny, but this is how the movie portrayed the character and I have to report it accurately. I really don't know why so many have gone wild for this or think it's great. I thought it was a detestable film where the lead's an asstagonist and it's just stupid all around. This is not the type of horror I want to watch.

However, I DID laugh when a few times throughout you get CGI of the baby in the womb and when something happens you get its reaction; I laugh because it was so stupid and hokey.


I'll be back Sunday night, with hopefully a movie to review that I actually liked.

No comments:

Post a Comment