Tuesday, June 18, 2013

The Protector


Runtime: 110 minutes

Directed by: Prachya Pinkaew

Starring: Tony Jaa, Petchtai Wongkamlao, Bongkoj Khongmalai, Xing Jing

From: Sahamongkolfilm Co.

I go to Thailand in my foreign-film watching and I rewatch this movie, one that I saw a few years ago and enjoyed (despite its nonsensical story) and I figured this was the perfect time to watch it again. It's a shame that Jaa has had obvious mental health issues the past few months and (allegedly; I just heard this rumor recently and it wasn't elabored on by the person who told it) ties to underworld figures in Thailand who apparently control him but it's up this year; by this time he should be a huge worldwide action star. Ong-Bak has an even lamer story but the action there is also quality; I've never seen the two sequels as I have heard some REAL bad things about both. A major shame. At least this is still pretty great, despite the nonsensical storyline.

The plot: Kham (Jaa) and his family raise elephants in Thailand. The elephant known as Por Yai is going to be presented to the ruler of the country but it and its calf Kohrn get kidnapped and sent to Sydney, Australia. That animal is considered sacred in the country, so Kham is MAD and goes to Sydney to get the both of them back and has to deal with such things as a gang led by a transsexual (both the character and the actor are trannies), a Thai cop in Australia who is on his side, and corrupt law enforcement.

I thought it then and still think it now: the story is for the birds and is not presented in the clearest manner so it's confusing at times. I have no idea what it's like in the 81 minute version that got released in U.S theatres as I never saw it on the big screen (in hindsight that was a mistake, even if I hear that even some of the fights got edited) but hopefully it was more coherent there. Still, I think the movie is a blast to watch as the action scenes are so great and tremendous. From the Jackie Chan-esque fight in the abandoned warehouse to the awesome 4 minute plus fight scene in the club that was filmed with no edits and cuts... from the arty fighting in the church with the floor covered in a few inches of water to all the bone-breaking that happens throughout, the fight scenes are tremendous and help make it a blast to watch despite the story. Unfortunately this may be the best film in terms of entertainment that Jaa ever does, and that makes me sad.


I'll be back Thursday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment