Monday, June 3, 2013

Cold Prey


Runtime: 97 minutes

Directed by: The awesomely named Roar Uthaug

Starring: Ingrid Bolso Berdal, Rolf Kristian Larsen, Tomas Alf Larsen, Endre Martin Midtstigen

From: Fantefilm

Tonight, I made the journey from Serbia to Norway to talk about a slasher film from that country which has plenty of fans online. I had to go to a certain secret sight to check it out. While the version they had was dubbed instead of subtitled, I shouldn't complain as at least I am certain what I watched wasn't edited in any way. There are two sequels, and I have heard that the third entry in the series is not really that good (it's also a prequel) so maybe I should stick to the first two. I guess that the idea of a third movie in any franchise not being that good (a popular online opinion) doesn't just apply to American films but that of movies all across the world. At least looking at movies of the past 15 or so years, that idea seems to have merit.

Anyhow, the plot to this... rather simple. Three guys and two girls are on a ski adventure and they decide not to go to the popular slopes but instead one in the middle of nowhere, where they can snowboard by themselves. That goes fine... until one of them falls and breaks something in the lower leg. Whoops. They find an abandoned ski lodge so they decide to stay there for the time being. Turns out, there's some dude who hunts people with a pickaxe, and they run into him.

The movie starts off fine enough, where you get to meet the quintet at first, you see them ski, they end up at the lodge and they talk to each other. All of that was fine and I had no problems with it. Problem is, once the killing starts, most of them are just lame and not that exciting at all. You have a killer who is a blank page. I'll spoil the fact that you find out Jack S*** about the killer because I have to complain about it. He's just a random dude. The characters end up doing some really dumb things. I know, it's a slasher, but it stuck out enough for me to note it. And there are also some dumb plot twists.

Each one of those demerits aren't deal-breakers on their own. You don't need to have awesome kills in a slasher, nor do you need a backstory for the killer as sometimes it's creepier that way. Characters can do some stupid things, as it happens. But, all those things combined, and into what was set up in the story... I say it did not work. It's not an awful movie as there are moments. But I think it's disappointing as after all the hype I've heard, it's just a standard movie which has a nice scenic setting (the mountains area, and then a nice big wooden lodge) and wasted potential. I wish I wasn't disappointed like this, but I'm being honest here. If only I didn't feel blah about the motion picture.


I'll be back Wednesday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment