Monday, June 24, 2013

Solaris


Runtime: 168 minutes

Directed by: Andrei Tarkovsky

Starring: Donatas Banionis, Natalya Bondarchuk, Juri Jarvet, Anatoily Solonitsyn

From: Mosfilm

I know, I am late; it happened. Being tired for the entire day and even taking a nap has thrown my schedule out of whack. Anyhow, I figured I should see this famous Soviet sci-fi film, as I hadn't seen it nor the Soderbergh remake, which I know is definitey not as highly regarded. I got a free 2 week invite to Hulu Plus, and this time I hoped I wouldn't have problems with it like I did the last time. Well, aside from a few times where the picture stopped but the audio kept on going... it was fine. At least I was able to play it without any actual computer issues, but enough about that.

The plot is that sometime in the future, psychologist Kris Kelvin (Banionis) is asked to go to space and visit a space station that is orbiting about a mysterious ocean-covered planet known as Solaris. The people left on the station are acting strange and apparently are psychologically damaged, so he has to go there to see what's going on. Many weird things happen and Kris experiences what happens to the crew on the station... I'll give away one thing... a thing that looks and acts like his dead wife (Bondarchuk) appears but it's a manifestation of the planet. It results in such things as Kelvin wondering about himself and his attitudes and even what it means to be human, among other heady concepts.

“Mind-bending” and “metaphysical” are terms that have been used to describe this motion picture, and that is accurate. This is slow and deliberately paced, but that was alright with me. People have said this is dream-like and I agree. It's a movie that doesn't spoon-feed information to you and you do have to think about what's going on and what it means. It was always interesting and I could mention what I think it means, but spoilers so I won't. I'll just say that despite this not being in my wheelhouse, this was great. Everything that was done was done so well: the story (based on a Polish novel), the acting, the characters, the run-down spaceship set, the cinematography, the ethereal music... it all comes together almost perfectly.

In short, if you enjoyed 2001, then you should also see this, as it's both the same and different, but you likely will be more apt to enjoying this cereberal masterpiece. I am glad I finally was able to check it out.


I'll be back Tuesday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment