Sunday, June 9, 2013

Behind The Candelabra


Runtime: 118 minutes

Directed by: Steven Soderbergh

Starring: Michael Douglas, Matt Damon, Scott Bakula, Rob Lowe

From: HBO Films

Yep, I managed to find a copy of this on YouTube (but shhh on that) and as I heard a number of people I know online talk about the movie (just about all of them dug it) I had to see it, and take a short break from the Foreign Film June deal-io I am doing. There's certainly a lot to say about this. I'll start off with how Soderbergh says (at least for the time being) this is his last-ever film as he is fed up with Hollywood and how the studios did not want to make and release this due to is content, despite the talent involved, because it's about a homosexual relationship. I don't always dig him but I do agree with Steven's views on independent film and how the Hollywood studio system is now pretty ridiculous with how corporate it is and how it's filled with bean-counters.

Also, there's the flamboyant Liberace, who in hindsight... well, it seems so obvious now that he was a homosexual. He's a talented musician for sure and it was an extravagant show he put on which helped him for a time be the highest paid entertainer in the world. I managed to find a video on Youtube of the intro to his Las Vegas show from the early 80's which consists of the intro that the audiences saw then you see the first few minutes of the man himself on stage, talking to the audience. Here's the video, where you get to see the real Scott Thorson as the guy who literally drives Liberace on stage in a Rolls Royce. That comes across as awkward now, given that of course it was Thorson who wrote the book this movie is based upon, all about the relationship he says he had with the legendary entertainer. Anyhow, the video shows that Liberace on stage seemed like a charming guy who enjoyed interacting with the audience and making them happy.



While he's gotten into legal problems since then (and also has colon cancer) I will presume that much of what he says is true. Sure, he recently said that he had a relationship with Michael Jackson and that Liberace had unprotected sex with guys after he knew he had AIDS. I am not sure about that but otherwise I presume that the story he tells isn't fiction.

You get to see “Lee” (what Liberace always called himself) meet up with Scott backstage after a show, due to Scott Bakula's character Bob Black; Bob Black looks hilarious, as he has a mop of hair, dressed for the late 70's era, and has a huge mustache. Lee quickly falls in love with Scott, who was only 17 at the time and he was 57. Things are fine at first, but after Lee convinces him to get plastic surgery from shady plastic surgeon Jack Startz (Rob Lowe, who is also made to look hilarious; that character had too much work done on his own face), Scott begins a drug habit and well, that's when trouble starts between the two and eventually they split, although they did reunite before Lee passed away due to complications from AIDS.

Overall, I enjoyed the movie, for sure. I mean, even more so than I was expecting. All the performances were quality and given the talent involved it's pretty ridiculous this only got a theatrical release overseas in various countries and not in the United States. Besides the people already mentioned, there are small roles from Mike O'Malley, David Koechner, Nicky Katt, Paul Reiser, and even Debbie Reynolds. No wonder why Soderbergh is fed up with the studio system. There's also a nice musical score from Marvin Hamlisch, who passed away last year shortly after doing said score.


The movie seems fair to both of the leads; they both had their good moments and their bad moments. I had no idea what to expect going in but I am glad it was put on YouTube, albeit illegally, as I don't subscribe to HBO. I am also glad it was serious and it wasn't campy, as it certainly would have been easy to do such a thing. I'll be back Tuesday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment