Saturday, June 1, 2013

Police Story


Runtime: 101 minutes

Directed by: Jackie Chan

Starring: Jackie Chan, Maggie Cheung, Brigitte Lin, Bill Tung, Yuen Chor

From: Golden Harvest

As I said recently, on Letterboxd I decided to mainly watch foreign films for the month of June. I decided to kick it off a night early (and I was tied up with things so that's why this is technically posted on Saturday the 1st of June) and watch something I recently found on Blu-Ray; I have seen this once before but that was at least 15 years ago from a VHS tape that may have been a cut version. I got it from a local mom & pop store. I remember enjoying it at the time, and thankfully I still enjoy it in 2013.

The plot: Chan Ka-Kui is a cop in Hong Kong. Almost on his own he captures notorious drug lord Chu Tao (but not before he and the bad guys destroy a shantytown in an impressive scene). He is then assigned to protect the secretary for Chu, who is being forced to testify against him. Things go wrong via a comedy of errors and Chu is set free. Other things happen and there is plenty of crazy action to watch, from the destruction of a shantytown to a whole lot of sugar glass being destroyed in a local mall... among other things that happened at that mall.

From what I understand, Chan said in his autobiography that this was his favorite action film he ever did, and well, he's done dozens of them by now. It's understandable why he thinks that way. Sure, at times the Chan character in the movie comes off as an asstagonist (especially when dealing with his girlfriend May) but otherwise this is a quality action/comedy that holds up in 2013. The comedy mostly is pretty funny, whether it be gags (accidentally recording something with the witness which out of context sounds like Chan and the witness were having sexual intercourse; that was one of the few things from the movie I remembered before seeing it again tonight), wordplay, or physical humor. And the action still hits, as a lot of it is craziness due to Chan doing all his own stunts, and you have shootouts, him chasing after a bus, and of course his martial arts and death-defying stunts, where sometimes he literally does defy death due to doing such insane things and somehow not ending up in a wheelchair for trying such things.

So yep, this is still a satisfying action movie that can be enjoyed in modern times. I tend to reallly enjoy the good Jackie films (there certainly are some bad ones out there, though.... The Tuxedo... shudders. I don't want to watch that again even to roast it!) but even with that, I recommend this. I'll be back on Sunday night; I'll see a movie from a European country, but I don't know which one yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment