Friday, March 9, 2012

Frontier(s) (Frontiere(s))



Runtime: 108 minutes

Directed by: Xavier Gens

Starring: Karina Testa, Aurelein Wiik, Patrick Ligares, Samuel Le Bihan

From: Europa Corp.

Here is a movie that I've heard about for quite awhile but never was able to see as it wasn't available for rental at the local Blockbuster. I finally found it at a MovieStop store in Orlando where I picked it up used for not too much money. I heard mixed reviews for the film but I never heard anyone downright hate it. Now I wish I would have, but more on that in a bit.

Maybe the newer French horror movies that have gotten a lot of praise just aren't for me, given that I didn't like how Martyrs turned out and even if they wouldn't have had those stupid plot twists I would not have cared for Haute Tension.

As for this movie... before I talk about why it was one of the most aggravating movies I've ever seen (no exaggeration), here's the plot: Some small-time hoods from the slums of Paris (including one girl) need some cash so they decide to take advantage of the political riots taking place in the city at the time and they steal some cash and drive off to Amsterdam. But one of the gang gets shot so he and the girl go to the hospital while the rest drive off to the Netherlands. They decide to stop off at a hostel (yes) in the rural countryside for the night. It happens to be hosted by a pair of trampy women and a creepy middle-aged guy. From there... but I don't want to spoil anything even though I really should for this piece of crap film.

What really got me upset was that the lead characters are ALL loathsome human beings on a near-constant basis, both in general and to each other. Seriously, all you see is them acting terrible to each other, yelling and screaming at their alleged buddies with little to no provocation. Besides that just being numbing to watch it's aggravating as it insults my intelligence to have me believe these human beings could possibly be friends with each other. You don't even like the lead girl, who unfortunately gets saddled with an abortion angle for the film. I'm not going to mention my views on that hot-button issue. I just don't know why it had to be brought in here, unless they REALLY wanted to get the audience mad at the film.

The villains, there's a secret to them I won't reveal (even though I should) but despite them just being awful people themselves and not people you can love to hate, they almost seem to be more likeable than the protagonists! That's an awful thing to say given what the antagonists end up being but it's true.

Besides not liking anyone in the movie, I just thought it was poorly made. You know, scenes that went on too long or weren't long enough, jarring editng and transitions, that sort of thing. The fact that you also had the shaky cam/way too quick editing thing going on during the action scenes didn't exactly improve my mood as I hate that sort of filmmaking.

Sure, it's quite graphic at times so if you enjoy that sort of thing... (that's why the movie wasn't shown during the After Dark Horrorfest back when that disappointing thing was around, due to its content) but I need more than that, such as protagonists I actually like, or competent direction. You get the opposite of that here and I wish this piece of garbage would have stayed in France.

I'll be back Monday night (maybe early Tuesday) with a new review, hopefully of a film I enjoyed more than this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment