Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Casa de mi Padre






Runtime: 84 minutes

Directed by: Matt Piedmont

Starring: Will Ferrell, Genesis Rodriguez, Diego Luna, Efrain Ramirez

From: Lionsgate

What would make me go see a movie starring a guy that I generally do not like? Why, a Spanish-language subtitled film (yes, Will speaks only in Spanish) based on Mexican telenovelas that's also a grindhouse low-budget sort of thing. Yes it's true. When I first saw the trailer for it about a year ago, it just looked odd and I had trouble believing it was something legit. Then, months later I saw another trailer and yeah, it was true.

I decided to check it out despite my feelings on the lead. Yep, throughout all these years I've never thought of Will Ferrell as all that funny. What I've seen of his most beloved films (i.e. Anchorman and Step Brothers) I didn't laugh once and I was more puzzled than anything else that people actually thought this was hilarious, as I thought it was the opposite. I never laughed at what little I've seen of him on SNL, and I am just baffled he is so beloved amongst people my age (early 30's) and the 20's set. I just don't get it.

Still, even I have to admit that at least sometimes he picks interesting roles, so he's better than the worst of the worst and I'd pick him over someone like Sandler or Christ, Tyler Perry. And this is certainly a strange role to take, but I'm glad something this unique got released to almost 400 screens in the United States. If only the movie would have been better... but if you like Old Will, then your mileage may vary.

The plot isn't too complex. Armando Alvarez (Ferrell, looking as Mexican as you'd imagine) works on the ranch of his father (Pedro Armendariz, Jr.) ; his brother Raul (Luna) returns to the ranch with the rather lovely Sonia (Rodriguez, and yeah she's quite easy on the eyes) and he wants to marry her. Two problems, though... Sonia has a rather seedy past, and Raul is a drug dealer who sends his supply to the Americans. Armando also happens to be a dumb-witted fellow-shocking, I know-so there's conflict there.

I won't reveal more of the plot but I'll say that the reason why I don't rate this higher is that the movie is not as funny as it thinks it is. A lot of the jokes are either supposed to be funny because they drag on for way too long or because they are awkward; sorry, but neither one of those styles tickles my funny bone. Plus, Will's character sometimes is really off-putting; that didn't help improve my opinion of the person even though I should only judge him on the character.

But hey, there are some good things; they go with the joke that this is a low-budget thing so you see actual squibs used during the shootouts (which are fine) and the special effects are obviously fake, as are the backdrops to some of the sets. There's also a take on the missing reel gag, and that sort of grindhouse thing. Plus, the outfits fit the movie and the groovy opening credits are the best part of the film, I say.

So, this wasn't awful at all. Lord knows I've seen many worse movies (even on the big screen; unfortunately in the future I'll have to watch Hell Ride again just so that I can rant and rave about how awful it is; that has to be the worst theatrical movie I've ever seen); it's more of a noble failure, you know, something I call a misfire but I'm glad it was made as it's not the usual cookie-cutter BS.

I'll be back Sunday night with a new review.

No comments:

Post a Comment