Thursday, January 31, 2013

The Last Stand




Runtime: 107 minutes

Directed by: Jee-woon Kim

Starring: ARNOLD, Forest Whitaker, Luiz Guzman, Jaimie Alexander, Eduardo Noriega

From: Lionsgate

Finally, I've seen my first 2013 film. Tomorrow evening I'll finally post that 2012 list, but tonight I'll talk about this film, one that ended up bombing at the box office; maybe not enough people care in these modern times about one old action star, maybe it was his controversial time in office, maybe it was that affair with the scary-looking maid, or maybe it was a combo of all of those... point is, I was surprised it did almost nothing at the box office. The trailers made it look good but I heard reviews from action fans, many of whom said that this was middling at best. I was shocked. Turns out, I disagree with the naysayers.

You probably already know the plot: A cartel leader on the level of Escobar (Noriega) escapes from FBI custody and he takes a Corvette ZR1 and heads to Mexico. He decides to have his henchmen set things up where he surprises the authorities and goes through a rather small town in Arizona on the Mexican border. But he wasn't expecting a grizzled sheriff (ARNOLD) and his wacky collection of deputies being there to try and stop them.

This is the American debut of famed Korean director Kim. I'd compare this to his other films like The Good The Bad The Weird or I Saw The Devil, but I would have had to have seen them before to be able to do such a thing, so... I imagine this isn't as good as the movies I mentioned but that doesn't mean this is bad. Sure, this is a big dumb action movie where you should shut your brain off... that said, if you enjoy action movies with many interesting characters, nice moments for all of them, bitchin' cars (a Camaro ZL1 also is used by someone), plenty of violent bloody action, funny moments, familiar faces (there's also Peter Stomare, the really hot Genesis Rodriguez, and a cameo from Harry Dean Stanton) and yeah, hot women throughout..

If you enjoy that sort of thing, then ignore the criticisms and check this out, at least if you are able to. By the start of February it'll be gone from many theatres due to it bombing. I say it's a shame it did not do well. Maybe on DVD/Blu-Ray it'll get more attention and appreciation, where you can admire that it starts off with a cover of Sleepwalk and it ends with a cover of the Jeff Beck Group version of Howlin' Wolf's I Ain't Superstitious.

Like I said, tomorrow night I'll be back with THE LIST.

No comments:

Post a Comment