Sunday, January 27, 2013

My Bloody Valentine 3D



Runtime: 101 minutes

Directed by: Patrick Lussier.

Starring: Jensen Ackles, Jaime King, Kerr Smith, Kevin Tighe, Tom Atkins

From: Lionsgate

Today I decided to go through some Blu-Rays I have that I hadn't really spent much time with. I saw Total Recall (I hope I don't have to clarify it was the original) via the much-improved Blu-Ray that came out last year; I already reviewed it almost 3 years ago but in short, it's still a great movie that people shouldn't look down just because it stars Arnold; sure, if you don't like graphic violence that is one thing, but don't hate on Arnold... at least not for his acting skills. His personal life, maybe. And let's not even talk about the remake, which sounds pretty terrible from all I've heard and a massive waste of what could have been a different take on the Phillip K. Dick short story it was based on.

Anyway, I've had this Blu-Ray for awhile but never sat down to check it out. It has both the 2D and 3D versions and tonight I saw the 3D version with the cheap cardboard glasses; it didn't look too bad all things considered (a big TV and a high-def format has to help out) but the big screen is the best way to see 3D film. I actually did see this back on the big screen in '09 (twice) back when 3D was a novel thing and it wasn't common-place like it is now. As you can see I enjoyed it back then. Turns out, I still enjoy this tale set in a mining town.

The plot: Due to a f***-up by the owner of the mine's son Tom (Ackles), miner Harry Warden kills his fellow miners to try and save more air for himself. Harry ends up in a coma. A year later he wakes up and he wreaks some havoc on the young kids partying in the mine, including Tom, who escapes death w/ the aid of some cops. They shoot Harry and bury him in the woods, or so the story goes. Then we flash-forward 10 years and Tom returns to town after running away to deal with his father's death and wanting to sell the mine. As he returns, a figure dressed like Harry Warden starts killing people. Is it Tom, the new sheriff in town (Smith) who is now married to Tom's old love Sarah (King), or is it someone else?

Like I said this movie is still a lot of fun. Plenty of things come at the screen with the 3D format. The story is always interested and it's made clear that several different people could be behind the killings. There are plenty of pretty women to look at, although special mention has to be made of Betsy Rue and how she spends one extended scene completely nude. This is just a fun and gory slasher where many creative kills are done with the killer's pickaxe. At least with me, sometimes you want to have a good time and have some beer while watching an entertaining slasher, and this certainly fits the bill. And yes, eventually I'll watch and then talk about the original Canadian film from the early 80's.

I'll be back Tuesday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment