Friday, February 1, 2013

My List Of The Best Movies Of 2012


Finally, here is the list. I did this to wrap up 2010 and 2011. You can read the 2010 take here and the 2011 one here. In hindsight I might rate some movies differently, but that's in the past. Just click on the movie title to go to my original review.

Honorable Mention


This is a comedy that I wasn't sure about going in; after all, there was the crappiness of American Wedding... this one, though, ended up being quite entertaining and it was nice for those who were in high school when the first one came out (like me) or otherwise saw all the other theatrical films in the series. It's really funny and has some nice setpieces.


I saw it late in its theatrical run. I ended up being shocked that this was as good as it was given it was from 20th Century Fox and the first previews I saw, it looked like some teenybopper crap. Thankfully I was wrong. There will be a sequel, and this time there appears to be studio interference (the first one being filmed in South Africa probably helped in there not being that) and boy am I disappointed in that.


I know that how the movie ended really divided people and I know people who loved it and others hated it. Me, I fall in the former. Besides that, this is a downbeat 70's style drama with a tremendous plane crash.


In hindsight I should have seen this on the big screen. I know that various people out there don't like it; me, I think it's a cool and stylish action thriller with an admittedly basic plot. The awesome score really makes it, I say. The action scenes are also pretty great.


Also in hindsight I should have seen this on the big screen as it did play in NC-17 form in Orlando. I goofed. My problems with one major character aside, the rest of it was quite strong and pretty great overall.


Talk about movies that divide people... I have come across plenty of complaints about this from action fans, let alone regular folk. Me, I really dug this stylized film which by coincidence ; as I heard from someone I know on Twitter, this movie knows what it is, does it well, and gets it done in under 90 minutes.


I just talked about this movie a few days ago. It was thankfully a movie from Tarantino that I thought was a hit rather than a miss.


A movie I saw twice on the big screen. I am glad it made me forget just how lousy and crappy Quantum of Solace was. Great action, a Dark Knight sort of story, and what a villain Javier Bardem was.


Not to have people worry about me, but I swear this is a movie I could have written, given that I share many of the same viewponits. I am not saying I want to gun down all the stupid ignorant rude people in America; I am just glad that the shitty American culture we have today with “reality” TV and people not being nice to each other got skewered so viciously.


I heard really strong buzz about this movie for months before it came out. Thankfully it lived up to the hype and more. What an amazing action spectacle, and great action scenes at that. And this was a random movie from Indonesia, of all places. If you love action/martial arts, this is a must-see. It was just coincidence this had some strong similarities to Dredd 3D.


I know some action fans who either disliked or downright hated it. I am not quite sure why they thought that or expected something else given the first movie and who was in this one. Me, this had to be my Number One. I had a HUGE adrenaline rush from this that I was feeling on the long drive home and even after I made it to my bedroom. Yep, I enjoyed the movie that much. The first 15 minutes blew anything in the original out of the water and I fell in love with it then.

I'll be back Monday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment