Sunday, November 11, 2012

Skyfall

Skyfall (2012)


Runtime: 144 minutes

Directed by: Sam Mendes

Starring: Daniel Craig, Javier Bardem, Ralph Finnes, Naomie Harris, Judi Dench

From: MGM/Columbia

Finally, last night I was able to check this out in a jam-packed theatre; I had heard much about the movie from messageboards and what have you since it was released in the UK and elsewhere then made its way to North America a few days ago, where I heard mostly strong buzz for it. I was at least hoping it'd be better than Quantum of Solace.

Don't worry, it blew Quantum out of the water.

The plot... I don't want to give too much away (at least what wasn't shown in all the trailers) so I'll just use what the movie has used to describe the plot: “Bond's loyalty to M is tested as her past comes back to haunt her. As MI6 comes under attack, 007 must track down and destroy the threat, no matter the personal cost.”

The first thing I'll mention is that the threat here has nothing to do with the Quantum organization you see in the first two Craig Bond films. The villain here, Silva (a blonde-haired Bardem, who delivers an incredible performance; I've already heard some compare the movie to The Dark Knight in terms of villain and his plan; it's not the worst comparison as I had the same thought. The character and his motivation are great, but Javier was awesome in the role and made it so memorable) is doing things on his own and his plan is vengeance. In some ways I was reminded of Max Zorin, played by Christopher Walken in A View to a Kill. Both have light blonde hair, act rather crazy, and they happen to use the technology of the time rather well. I'll leave it at that. I won't even say where Bond travels to except you see action both in Europe and Far East Asia.

I wasn't sure what to expect action-wise from the director of American Beauty but it turns out, he films it quite well. No shaky-cam or quick-editing crap. Plus, the action itself is quite great. The opening bit before the famed credits and Adele title song (and that song is much better than that crap you got from Quantum) is tremendous and sets the mood perfectly. The story too... it is more of a Bond film than the first two; 007 is happy to bed women, for example, and as you know from the trailers, the new Q shows up. Yet the story is also mature and deals with the lead characters having to deal with serious conflict and doubts about themselves, looking to the future as well as the past.

So all around, this is one of the best films I've seen this year, let alone in comparison to the 007 films of the past 50 years. I give it my highest recommendation. I'll be back Monday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment