Tuesday, November 27, 2012

God's Gun

God's Gun (Diamante Lobo) (1976)

Runtime: 94 minutes

Directed by: Gianfranco Parolini

Starring: Lee Van Cleef, Jack Palance, Sybil Danning, Richard Boone, Leif Garrett (yes, Leif Garrett)

From: Golan-Globus (yes, the guys behind Cannon)

So, I haven't seen too many Spaghetti Westerns in my life; I decided to try and fill that hole by watching this, a movie I only heard about earlier in the year. A movie filmed in Israel and produced by the guys who would form the tremendous 80's studio known as Cannon Films, with that cast... it certainly sounded promising to me.

The plot, which I am stealing from the back of a public domain collection of Spaghetti Westerns I got today: “A retired gunslinger heads to Juno City to seek revenge upon the man who murdered his twin brother, the local parish priest.” Not too surprisingly, Palance was the bad guy, and Van Cleef played the twin brothers. Also, “Juno City”... I can't help but shudder whenever I hear the word Juno, due to that terrible film, but that's another topic for another day.

As for the film... it's definitely uneven. Some parts were lame. But there were some great parts too. Palance and his band of sleazy (and sleazy-looking) ruffians certainly did a lot to make themselves evil bastards. For example, their love of fondling and raping women, which you do see some of throughout. When you see Palance walk in on some members of his gang in their saloon trying to have their way with some ladies, he sees this and... starts cackling out loud. Yep, it's that kind of movie. 

There's also plenty of wackiness with the plan that the gunslinger uses to get revenge, and I'll leave it at that. Like I said, this is uneven but it's not awful either. It has the stereotypical Spaghetti Western musical score, which is not a bad thing. I wish it would have been awesome considering the talent involved (Leif is not included in what I call “talent”; he was annoying at times, to say the least); that said, it was still an acceptable watch.

I'll be back Wednesday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment