Thursday, February 28, 2013

Almost Human



Runtime: 99 minutes

Directed by: Umberto Lenzi

Starring: Tomas Milian, Henry Silva, Laura Belli, Gino Santercole

From: Dania Film

This is another poliziotteschi film; this is another one I found via that nameless site. I picked it out at random among a selection of movies in that genre. The fact that it was from prolific Italian director Lenzi and it had Silva in a rare role as a good guy was also interesting to me. There is an unsubtitled version of the film on YouTube, so if you speak Italian then you'll be set.

The plot, stolen from the IMDb: “A psychotic small-time criminal realizes that the everyday robberies, rapes and murders he commits aren't making him all that much money, so he figures to hit the "big time" by kidnapping the daughter of a rich man.” Correct. Giulio (Milian) is a scumbag who does low-level jobs. Then, he gets the inspiration to kidnap the daughter of the rich man that his girlfriend works for. He does this with the assistance of two pals, who become increasingly uneasy as the boozer starts popping pills. That's when he becomes real psychotic and does some really shocking things.

This is pretty good overall and has what you expect from the genre (a car chase, gangs, the police, etc.) although you may be put off by some of the real dark and sleazy aspects of this. My God, what he says to his girlfriend... we first see him drunk talking to his galpal. She admonishes him for being Napoleon when he's sauced. Out of nowhere he responds that Napoleon has a big dick and then utters the great line, “I'll make you see Napoelon, you bitch!” Five minutes later he tells her his plan for the kidnapping and he needs her car. She doesn't want to but he tells her, “I swear I'll give you... I can't say love, but I'll give you COCK for your whole life”... and this changes her mind and they make out!

Things sometimes become real uncomfortable. The highlight or lowlight of that is when the evil three end up at a mansion. Giulio shoots someone so there ends up being three people left who live there. He forces the innocent people on their knees, and the three bad guys unzips their pants... yep. They cut away before it becomes too graphic, but talk about disturbing. And one of the victims is a guy. Like I said, this is a pretty dark and notably sleazy example of this genre. At least there are still some things to laugh at, such as the fashion and the black comedy.

I'll be back Monday night. I plan on finally getting around to watch the first season of a show from premium cable. I've put it off for far too long and I'll talk about that to do something a little different.

No comments:

Post a Comment