Thursday, February 7, 2013

My First Wedding



Runtime: 94 minutes

Directed by: Laurent Firode

Starring: Rachael Leigh Cook, Kenny Doughtr, Paul Hopkins, Valerie Mahaffey

From: Paragraph Pictures

Tonight, I figured it was time to see another Rachael film as it has been almost 2 months since the last time that happened. I figured I should go with one that I've actually been fearing since I first heard about it; it's a romantic comedy, which is rarely my thing. Then, the plot is a “mistaken identity” thing where I figured wacky hijinks would ensue, and yeah that isn't always my thing either.

Sure, I was amused to find out that this is about a woman who is about to be married but then suddenly out of nowhere she becomes a horny chick who lusts after every man (this isn't subtle, as I found out once I started watching it) and she tries to fix this by going to church and who she thinks is the priest she confesses to is actually a good-looking motorcycle-riding carpenter who was repairing something in the church. He likes her looks (certainly understandable) and he falls in love, so he has to play a priest who will help her horniness while he actually wants to break up the impending marriage... but still, I was fearing this one.

My thoughts after watching this movie...well, at least Rachael and the rest of the cast got to go to Montreal-a city I've love to visit as I have heard it is great-for a few weeks to film this. Sure, it's hilarious that she suddenly become such a nymphomaniac that she couldn't wait THREE DAYS to marry her rich successful man and finally get laid (he's a religious sort, as we're told early on... although he doesn't act like that all the time; typical) and she has somehow never been laid before herself and she has doubts for no reason that he's even the right man... still, it's a bunch of stupid characters you can't believe are real human beings acting ridiculous and doing the wrong thing almost all the time in order to make it a feature-length movie. Dear God Almighty, there was like a 5 minute long extended charades scene done for no logical reason except to pad things out!

In short, even if you are the type that enjoys romantic comedies, I imagine there are many better ones out there. Not every actor can be like John Cazale and only made a few movies and literally every one is a classic. In fact, just about every actor has some stinkers on their record and a lot of people would admit that this was one of those films that was crappy. I unfortuantely have to say that this is one of Rachael's worst, due to no fault of her. It just turned out that way. At least I did get some laughs out of it so it wasn't a total loss, but often I did sigh or shake my head or put my face in my hands.

I'll be back Saturday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment