Tuesday, July 9, 2013

The Horde


Runtime: 96 minutes

Directed by: Yannick Dahan, Benjamin Rocher

Starring: Claude Perron, Jean-Pierre Martins, Eriq Ebouaney, Aurelein Recoing

From: Capture The Flag Films

Yep, I am returning to the world of recent French horror, even though every one of the movies in that category I've seen, I've not really liked at all and I thought were really overrated, despite what many hardcore horror fans think otherwise. I went with this one as it's on Netflix Instant, I've heard other people give praise to it (despite what I just said about watching other movies that people have praised), and the plot... well...

The plot, stolen from the Instant description: “When four corrupt policemen invade a gangster's hideout near Paris to avenge the death of their colleague, they quickly find themselves outmanned, outgunned and trapped. That is, until a legion of vicious zombies swarms through the building.”

It's important to note that there's really no explanation given for why there's a sudden outbreak of zombies, or how they are able to destroy Paris so quickly (despite them being fast-moving zombies), or heck, why it should be known to everyone early on that it takes a shot to the head to dispose of one of the creatures... that is not even taking into account the zombie lore that everyone knows by now due to how they've become such a popular thing in recent years; in this world, the first undead appears in the room that everyone's in and they shoot him in the body and he's not stopped and it takes a shotgun blast to the dome for it to finally be disposed of, and they can't figure it out with that and additional evidence that's pretty much right in their face? Lord... and there definitely are further plot holes that I won't get into, although I don't know why so many zombies descended upon a condemned building that hardly had anyone in it.

More problems is that the movie really has no sense of humor and I did not like any of the characters at all. I suppose I should have suspected that with the plot I knew of beforehand of there being dirty cops and gangsters, but really, it was difficult for me to care when all of them were stupid and/or A-holes. This wasn't awful and I did not get as mad as I have when watching other recent French horror, but AGAIN, why do these get such praise? I guess they don't work for me, although at least I have explained why I have had big issues with all of those motion pictures.


If you do still want to see it, there certainly is a lot of violence, blood and gore but that was not enough for me to like it. I'll be back Wednesday night and I'll try to be more punctual.

No comments:

Post a Comment