Friday, July 26, 2013

Goodfellas


Runtime: 146 minutes

Directed by: Martin Scorsese

Starring: Ray Liotta, Lorraine Bracco, Robert De Niro, Joe Pesci, Paul Sorvino

From: Warner Brothers

You know, I was thinking of what to watch tonight; I then noticed that I had this movie in my collection and I hadn't seen it in awhile. I thought I had reviewed this before but after a search, I was wrong. I already reviewed it on Letterboxd, just never here... until now. I have seen it a few times before, including once on the big screen, and the movie is still great. I rated it 5 stars out of 5 on Letterboxd; I mention that to demonstrate how highly I rate this.

I doubt I need to say much about the plot, but this is an always engrossing tale based on real life where Henry Hill (Liotta) idolizes the mob family he grew up by in Brooklyn. He decides to join up with them as a teenager and throughout the years you get to see him rise in power with his pals Jimmy Conway (De Niro) and Tommy DeVito (Pesci) but as it typically is for many rich/successful people, drugs was his downfall and there goes the mob family he was in.


No matter how many times I see this, this movie still rules. Just about everything about it is perfect, from the way it's shot, to the plentiful use of music (it's used greatly during the downfall of Hill when he's high on drugs and is having a really bad day; you feel as exhausted and yet amped up to 11 as Hill was at the point), to the classic performances, to the story... even when old Henry treats his wife poorly he's still a compelling character. The fact that there's plenty of narration from Henry and yet that gimmick works for this movie... there isn't much else I can say except that this is a classic and just about all of the lengthy better written articles that talk about why this movie is a classic... you should read those too, and they're right.

Sorry but I am in a rush now or I'd write more. I will be back Monday night as I have a busy weekend ahead of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment