Friday, July 12, 2013

The Battle Wizard


Runtime: 77 minutes (although the copy I had was only 73 minutes long)

Directed by: Hsueh Li Pao

Starring: Danny Lee, Ni Tien, Chen Chi Lin, Kwok Kuen Chan

From: Shaw Brothers

Yep, after all this time I have finally reviewed my first Shaw Brothers film. Heck, this is the first one I've ever seen from the legendary Hong Kong film studio of old. I believe I have seen a clip or two of it before and heard discussion of it on a messageboard but I was motivated to talk about it after it was featured on the Total Film website in a great article of “50 Amazing Films You've ProbablyNever Seen”, where I hadn't even heard of many of the entries and before tonight I had only seen one of them, which was Viy.

Their description for the movie made me want to see it. To copy and paste what they wrote up:

“20 years after having his legs cut-off by a warrior's laser-fingers, an evil wizard takes revenge by sending his lobster-clawed henchman to capture his enemy's son Tuan Yu, who has no interest in fighting. Encouraged by a woman who throws snakes at people, Tuan Yu embarks on a quest to learn fighting skills.

This film also involves a scrap with a giant snake, a frog which can make you invincible if you swallow it, and a kung fu gorilla. And a wizard with metal chicken legs who can breathe fire.”
All that they said on Total Film is true. All of this insanity actually happened. The evil wizard was the guy who had metal chicken legs and he did breathe fire. There's also things like knives being fired out of what looks like a giant bone, that lobster-clawed henchman being some sort of mutant, some really wacky stop-motion animation, and a snake that carries a message as if it's a pigeon.
Sure, the martial arts scenes you get are all fine, but it's obvious that you should see it for how damn strange it is, as believe me it is as strange as it sounds from description. It shoud be noted that Tuan Yu is a goofball (at least in the first half, before he swallows that frog) while he gets helped by snake-throwing dame and a kung fu master girl (the one who fires those knives out of the giant bone). A gender reversal, which is fine by me. Overall... what a weird movie, but an entertaning one. It has quite the hysterial ending too, where the special effects go wild.

Sometime in the future I do need to see more films from the Shaw Brothers Studio. Those include the weird ones like the infamous Crippled Avengers/Crippled Masters/The Return of the Five Deadly Venoms or whatever you want to call it along with their more normal fare that isn't supernatural or bizarre in nature. 
I'll be back Sunday night, where I plan on giving my review of Pacific Rim.

No comments:

Post a Comment