Thursday, July 18, 2013

Confessions Of An Opium Eater


Runtime: 85 minutes

Directed by: Albert Zugsmith

Starring: Vincent Price, Linda Ho, Richard Loo, June Kyoto Lu

From: Photoplay

My apologies but I had to leave before I was able to post it in the afternoon, thus it getting posted in the evening.

Sometimes, I review some pretty damn obscure movies. This happens to be one of them. I found out about it on a messageboard, where someone posted a link to another site that talked about it. It was put out recently by the online service Warner Archive; I did not see it that way. It's easily found on the most popular streaming site for free, although I presume the Warner Archive copy looks better than what is available on Yo... I mean, that one streaming site.

It's based on an autobiographical novel from 19th century author Thomas deQuincey, although the movie is about a later relative of deQuincey (Price) and his adventures in early 20th century San Francisco, where you can see someone driving an early automobile like a Model T and fire a Thompson submachine gun. To copy and paste the plot from the IMDb, corrected by me: “Gilbert de Quincey is an early 20th-century adventurer involved with helping runaway slave girls and victims of a tong war in San Francisco. Garbed in black from head to toe, de Quincey narrates his adventures. At the slave auction where beautiful Oriental girls are displayed in hanging bamboo cages, de Quincey befriends a tiny wisecracking female Oriental dwarf.”

Yes, a TINY WISECRACKING FEMALE ORIENTAL DWARF. I can confirm this is the case; that woman ruled. And this plot is from a movie released 51 years ago! The filmmaking world was so different back then and something like this got released, where you have Price high on opium on drug trips, is pretty surprising to me. Also, this movie is pretty damn weird, in case you coudn't tell already. It took me some time to get what was going on; it didn't help that the IMDb description wasn't entirely accurate. But once I got it, I thought this movie was entertaining. It's more weird than good, but it isn't awful. There is comedy from all the flowery lyrical dialogue/narration (and situations) and odd situations you see. The definite highlight was the aforementioned drug trip that Gilbert goes on, where he smokes some opium, sees a lot of different animals on the drug trip, and then he has to run away from the bad guys and to show the effects of the drugs, the film is in slow motion, which was a nice touch.


As you can tell from the cast listing, most of the cast is legit Asian-American actors; that was great for them giving the film industry back then and how it was common to have white people in “Yellowface” as Asians. And beforehand I had heard that there were eerie similarities between this and Big Trouble in Little China. I hadn't seen the latter in too long but from what I remember, I understand the comparison as more than once there were parallels. Someone with Little China must have been familiar with this. 

I'll be back Saturday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment