Thursday, May 30, 2019

Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II

Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II (Gojira vs. Mekagojira) (1993)

Runtime: 108 minutes

Directed by: Takao Okawara

Starring: Masahiro Takashima, Ryoko Sano, Megumi Odaka, Yusuke Kawazu, Daijiro Harada

From: Toho

You know, the Heisei era Godzilla films were pretty weird.

This is the first time in a few years I've seen one of those but while The Return of Godzilla was relatively straightforward, Biollante was off the wall and good, vs. King Ghidorah was off the wall and not so good, and Mothra had a human subplot where they boldly ripped off Indiana Jones. This continues the zaniness: there is more psychic ability from Miki Saegusa-a character introduced in Biollante-a guy who stans Pterandons (those are flying dinosaurs; I am not sure why everyone scoffs at him for this when I know that Rodan* exists in this universe because Rodan is one of the kaiju creatures in this film), and yes... Godzilla Jr.! That's what I called him in the Showa era so I'll continue the tradition here. Thankfully the origin is not as goofy and aesthetically the appearance is much more palpable. I won't

Even with some befuddling moments, I had a pretty good time with this. The human stuff at least kept me entertained and all the kaiju action was very well done... explosions, many miniatures being destroyed, and everything else you'd expect from this sort of motion picture. Plus, you can insert your own jokes concerning a term that is used in this film: G-Crusher!


* The version I saw on Amazon was subtitled. From looking at multiple reviews I see that the English dub called him Radon, which upset some people. Thing is, its Japanese name is... Radon! It was changed to Rodan (because of silly reasons) for the English version of the original 50's film and that always stuck, despite it not being accurate.

No comments:

Post a Comment