Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Batman Returns

Batman Returns (1992)

Runtime: 126 minutes

Directed by: Tim Burton

Starring: Michael Keaton, Danny DeVito, Michelle Pfeiffer, Christopher Walken, Michael Gough


From: Warner Bros.

Schreck missed a golden opportunity by not calling his soiree a Maxquerade Ball.

Unlike with '89 Batman, neither parent took me or my young siblings to see this theatrically. I do not know for certain but I can only surmise it was due to all the controversy at the time over the film's dark tone and questionable moments that moralists say was not for kids. When I viewed it on VHS, I recall not really being a fan and regrettably that is still the case after seeing it on the big screen last night... but at least I can be bemused by how overtly sexual this was (I understand why Penguin is a horndog but Lord, so are Bruce Wayne and Selina Kyle) and I can admire how great the production design was. Sure, it was over the top in copying the German Expressionistic films and this doesn't look much like the Gotham City in the first film... but then again in the Nolan movies, Gotham looks completely different from movie to movie and somehow most did not seem to notice or care... anyhow, I now also appreciate the nice nod the name Max Schreck was.

The Penguin's storyline does make sense, at least on the surface. While him running for mayor is rather absurd, him wanting acceptance from human beings due to how he was cruelly abandoned as an infant due to his mutated features... I can understand that. A weird catlady who is killed only to revive as a literal catlady-complete w/ nine lives-after being licked by several feral felines and suddenly she wears a bondage outfit and flips throughout the air... I do not understand that or her character's motivations after that point AT ALL. I guess it makes about as much sense as how easy it was for the Batmobile to be hijacked and remote controlled... as I've said ad nauseum, superhero movies aren't really for me so that's why I don't see most of them. I know many will disagree but this is full of nonsense and moments that made me go, “huh?”

Being on the Internet has told me that this is pretty polarizing and there are some who hate it. I can't go that far because at least it has a quality cast, is visually stunning, has a sweet score from Danny Elfman and like with Batman I enjoyed the practical effects and miniatures. It having many fans is something I understand... if only it wasn't so goofy and had a weird adult for something that was supposed to be for kids of all ages, presumably. A movie having both a “pussy” joke from Penguin and a special Batman CD-ROM drive... that is rather peculiar.

No comments:

Post a Comment