Thursday, May 2, 2019

I Discuss Lil Dicky's Earth

I've been busy the past few days and plus there have been Live PD specials all this week (best-ofs, a special episode, etc.) so that has taken up some time. At least I've seen a popular music video... but was horrified by just how horrid and stupid and unfunny it was! 

Save the Earth-from Godzilla vs. Hedorah-delivers a MUCH better environmental message.

This is a video I never thought I would kvetch about but circumstances happened. The night it was released I paid it no attention; I gave up on modern pop music awhile ago so I did not care about the stacked roster that appeared on the track. I mean, Bruno Mars and Daft Punk is cool, I can acknowledge bangers such as Happy or Uptown Funk and I have no beef w/ K-Pop... otherwise, I just don't listen to it. Plus, I knew that Lil Dicky should be burned at the stake as I knew this white rapper released a song where he repeatedly used the N word, which inspired many clueless white youths to use the N word... it doesn't matter that it was with an A at the end instead of ER... he just looks like a tool and should be tossed into a wood chipper.

Then I saw a mutual here give this a half star review; I subsequently looked at the Letterboxd page for the video and noticed that someone wrote the lyrics to the song in their review... only I could NOT believe those were legit. Justin Bieber saying he was a baboon with a huge anus, Zac Brown as a cow making a vulgar remark concerning milk, Miguel as a squirrel making an obvious “nut” joke... no way could that garbage be the actual words that are said by all those celebrities. I was proven wrong once I finally watched the video.

The animation is fine so my half star rating is not about that. It is the tune itself... first off, how are famous people as animals making dumb, gross comments have anything to do with them wanting to save the Earth??? Then, it was how EVERYONE was Autotuned and I could barely make it through the video... as each person sounded terrible and I could barely recognize the singers I do know by voice. When I recently tried listening to Post Malone songs (speaking of visually unappealing, untalented white rappers) and I realized it was all Autotuned crap, I knew my initial judgmental opinion was actually correct.

When Small Penis finally contributes to his song, an actual message finally appears... I guess. To me, besides it being incredibly simplistic, this monologue was as if he just huffed some paint thinner and of course it was full of crass, R-rated dialogue. "Ramblings from a lunatic" doesn't begin to describe what he thought was the best way to present what he claims is a sincere message. I just about feel like weeping realizing that most people on YouTube and probably a lot of youths actually like this garbage and think it's “funny” or “cute”. At least most people here recognize how awful this all is. One of the worst commercial songs I've ever heard, Earth is. Meanwhile, it makes me glad I ignore modern pop music if it's full of Autotune, rappers who mumble, and idiotic artists who act like they only have half a brain.

Yesterday I went to Epcot at Walt Disney World; they have their annual Flower & Garden Festival-there's another entity that delivers its message much better than what Lil Dicky created. During those festivals at Epcot they have a stage area where retro artists perform; throughout the years I've heard everyone from Boyz II Men and The Village People to .38 Special and Everclear that way. This time it was “The Orchestra, Starring Former Members of ELO.” This means “no Jeff Lynne” and “several members who did perform with Lynne when ELO was on tour in the early 80's.” ELO is quite tremendous so it was great hearing a half hour set of such tunes as Sweet Talkin' Woman, Turn to Stone and Hold on Tight. Film fans, there was no Mr. Blue Sky or Livin' Thing, but much to my delight, a track from the XANADU soundtrack was played: All Over the World. Personally, older music like this is much more appealing than what has been “popular” the past several years.

No comments:

Post a Comment