Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Batman & Robin


Runtime: 125 minutes

Directed by: Joel Schumacher

Starring: A bunch of embarrassed faces

From: Warner Bros.

I had seen this boondoggle before, but never theatrically. The fact that in 2019 I could experience a big budget film this infamous on the big screen was good enough reason to pay the cash and experienced this w/ random strangers. I was surprised they did not guffaw in disbelief more often... in my head, my laughs were frequent.

I don't need to recap the plot in full; I'll just state that even I (a non comic book fan) know that all these characters got bastardized and this was a bizarre garish movie where such things as logic, motivation and science were thrown out the window as a bunch of cartoony things happen and one of the villains has a Freeze Gun that he uses often. As I've mentioned before, as a real little kid I saw reruns of the 60's Batman TV show... but I haven't watched it since I was a real little kid and it had to be goofy like that as it was a low budget television program. MANY bad decisions had to be made along the way to arrive at a film with so many stupid moments (Batman having his own credit card the most infamous one, but there is a plethora of other bits that are just as insipid) and such a harebrained plot-all that said, it's so unintentionally hilarious it is not a movie I hate. I mean, there's all the silliness and somehow a serious plotline like Alfred dying is thrown into the mix. I have to presume Bruce Wayne's romance w/ Elle McPherson was supposed to be more than just a few brief scenes and a lot there was left on the editing room floor... what an afterthought that became.

After all, this will likely be the funniest thing I see theatrically in 2019 and there are many bright neon colors to look at throughout. Plus, I will presume that Uma Thurman realized what a fiasco she got herself involved with, which is why she seemed to be the only one that camped it up to high heaven which is in stark contrast to just about everyone else. I am not sure why Bane was turned into a monosyllabic grunting thug who is a henchman to the lead villains but at least the late former pro wrestler Robert “Jeep” Swenson looked the part as an enormously muscular human being. One of Arnold's trademarks is delivering bad puns, but he didn't do it all the time and while some of them were good, there needed to be more a variety and other words used that played off of “cold.”

Just today, a podcast interview was released where George Clooney acknowledged that Arnold was paid something like 20 times more than he was (which is why he was second-billed) yet he got most of the heat for the movie being bad. Clooney does admit to not being good in Batman & Robin and the decision to appear in films with much better scripts was one of the reasons why he was able to weather the storm and not have his career ruined... a fate that did befall several of his cast mates. In 2019, I can be entertained that there were studio executives who thought this is what people wanted from a superhero film.

No comments:

Post a Comment