Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Son Of Godzilla


Runtime: 85 minutes

Directed by: Jun Fukuda

Starring: Tadao Takashima, Akira Kubo, Beverly Maeda, Akihiko Hirata, Yoshio Tscuhiya

From: Toho

“Exacerbated Single Father Godzilla” was not something I knew I needed.

These past several years I have not watched much in the way of Godzilla, which stands in contrast to the first few years I was on Letterboxd, when about a dozen of those films were viewed by me. I have a list of all those reviews so far that should be easy to find-it references a certain Blue Oyster Cult ditty. Anyhow, if you are a Prime member on Amazon and do a free trial of the Starz channel, that is a way to see some movies in this franchise; whether or not I extend that trial and pay for a month or not, several films starring the Big G will be viewed by me before King of the Monsters comes out late this month.

This is an infamous entry, as this is when the series had its stretch of being made primarily for children and the budget being slashed. Gojira was designed to look more friendly and in this entry, he adopts a young son just hatched from an egg. Its appearance will likely cause you to genuflect... in a bad way. I hope he grows into beauty later in life but in the film, Baby Godzilla (its official name is Minilla but “Baby Godzilla” is easier to recall) just looks goofy as hell and also not that handsome. It never should have happened yet seeing Godzilla teach his adopted son how to blow fire and roar is so strangely surreal, it did make me laugh.

Meanwhile, I should get to the actual plot. For the purpose of preventing food shortages in the future when Earth has a far greater population-a logical idea-they have the idea of... controlling weather so food can be grown in more areas? Is dinking around w/ Mother Nature really a good idea? Also, should those experiments be done on an island with giant praying mantises (mantii?) and a giant spider? Yeah, this movie is rather silly and the plot shouldn't be pondered for too long. Yet I can't say this is awful. OF COURSE in this franchise there is a journalist character and I was intrigued that some ideas and names from here returned in future installments. While the movie solely consists of kaiju brawling with each other on a tropical island mixed in with a plot that doesn't 100% connect with the monster hijinks, I can't say this was awful. This is still watchable, if slight.

Heck, the music (corny at times, admittedly) had its epic moments so to me this is not the worst in the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment