Monday, September 15, 2014

They Drive By Night

They Drive by Night (1940)

Runtime: 95 minutes

Directed by: Raoul Walsh

Starring: George Raft, Ann Sheridan, Ida Lupino, Humphrey Bogart, Gale Page

From: Warner Brothers

Today I started on the quest to add some more film noir to my life. I am sure most know what it is but basically, they are downbeat crime/detective films, to be as general as I can. Other sites out there do much more elaborate and detailed explanations and I won't try to match it. I picked out this film as it was an early example, I was able to track it down, it featured Bogie (it is a supporting role but that's OK) and I was interested in its plot. I'll explain it in the Letterboxd review, which will begin... now.

I decided recently that I should start watching more film noir. The few I've seen in my life I've enjoyed so I figured diving into the genre would be apt for me as it should be right up my alley. I picked this one out as it's an early example, I was able to find it, the plot revolving around independent truck drivers was interesting to me and hey, it features Bogart and I need to see more Bogie also.

As I said the story revolves around a pair of brothers, Joe and Paul (George Raft and Bogie) who are independent truck drivers. It's a rough trade and they end up behind on their bills. Joe is gung-ho on the idea of running his own company while Paul is thinking of listening to his wife and settling down and getting a regular job. They are pals with jolly gregarious good old boy Ed Carlsen (Alan Hale) who runs his own trucking company & is married to a polar opposite in a classy moll named Lana (Ida Lupino) and both Ann Sheridan as a regular gal and Roscoe Karns as Irish, a pinball-obsessed trucker, factor into the plot.

This film actually mixes in a few elements besides noir, such as good old fashioned melodrama and a serious and still relevant look at the issues truck drivers face, from driving too long hours and falling asleep at the wheel to concerns that spouses face at their loved ones being on the road for so long. Also, you get to see the great camaraderie truckers have with each other. You do get the sense they are one happy fraternity.

I rate this movie highly as it's an entertaining tale with various twists & turns, and as I expected, along with the quality acting from the talented cast there's always great snappy dialogue to hear. I won't spoil anything but there's quite a performance from one of the members of the cast as they figure into the noir part of the plot. This was a nice way to start the journey to see more "black film".

I'll return tomorrow night.

No comments:

Post a Comment