Wednesday, September 3, 2014

The Jazz Singer (The Original Version)

The Jazz Singer (1927)

Runtime: 88 minutes

Directed by: Alan Crosland

Starring: Al Jolson, May McAvoy, Warner Oland, Eugenie Besserer

From: Warner Brothers

Here's a film I watched on TCM last night and as I hadn't seen this historically important picture in the history of cinema I figured it was about time I did so. It was on TCM as a few days this month they're spending time showing and talking about Jewish films, this being one of those. The IMDb plot description then my Letterboxd review:

“Cantor Rabinowitz is concerned and upset because his son Jakie shows so little interest in carrying on the family's traditions and heritage. For five generations, men in the family have been Cantors in the synagogue, but Jakie is more interested in jazz and ragtime music. One day, they have such a bitter argument that Jakie leaves home for good. After a few years on his own, now calling himself Jack Robin, he gets an important opportunity through the help of well-known stage performer Mary Dale. But Jakie finds that in order to balance his career, his relationship with Mary, and his memories of his family, he will be forced to make some difficult choices.”

I figured it was about time I saw this historically significant motion picture in the annals of the cinema, the first full length movie with synchronized dialogue, and what changed movies forever... even though this movie is more often than not a silent film. As TCM showed it tonight that was the perfect time for me to check it out.

Well, overall I'd have to rate it as average; sure, it's significant but this is an old creaky simplistic movie which seems to be stretched out, and not just with all the songs. Al Jolson is definitely a better singer and dancer than entertainer in this story of a strict Jewish household where a 13 year old boy runs away from home due to his massive sh*tlord of a father who demands he has to join the family tradition of being a Cantor (someone who sings in a synagogue) and the boy wishes to sing jazz music instead. As an adult he becomes famous but he suddenly has to make a big choice...

I'll just mention two things: I was surprised at how horrible the father was. Even years later when the son becomes a singer of renown, he still hates him for not following the family tradition. Talk about overdramatic.

Also, the whole blackface thing... I know it was popular at the time but it was still quite unfortunate to see here, especially considering the song he sang in that getup was called Mammy.

Oh, and I am sure I'll eventually see the '80 remake, as I hear it's hilariously bad and just the idea of Neil Diamond and Laurence Olivier as son and father sounds incredible.

I'll return Friday afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment