Monday, September 22, 2014

I Confess


Runtime: 95 minutes

Directed by: Alfred Hitchcock

Starring: Montgomery Clift, Anne Baxter, Karl Malden, Brian Aherne

From: Warner Brothers


I don't know when I'll be able or want to see another Hitchcock film but via the local library I was able to check this one out, one of his more obscure movies... well, at least by his standards. It's about a priest in Quebec and that's not the only unique aspect of it. Onto my Letterboxd review:

Among the lists I've created on Letterboxd is one devoted to the films of Sir Alfred Hitchcock. I've seen part of his filmography throughout my life and I figured it'd be a great idea to watch or rewatch those films, as many of them I rate highly. This counts as one I hadn't seen before but the plot of a Quebec priest (Montgomery Clift) being told a murder confession by someone he knows in confessionals but even when the man of the cloth is accused of that very same crime he can't break the Oath and exonerate himself, leading to great conflict... it was certainly a unique plot. It was based on a stage play and at times it does come across as that but it didn't really bother me.

While this isn't one of the classics from Hitch, it doesn't mean it was bad, not at all. While it is a little ridiculous how the plot is expanded upon with the priest Father Logan having a longtime love and there being blackmail, I still enjoyed this film. It was nicely acted by the main cast (which includes Anne Baxter and Karl Malden), it was filmed very well with some beautiful shots and moments, and in place of any colorful wacky characters in this pretty serious tale (well, aside from the ending), the Quebec City setting and its Old World style provides some flavor and figurative color.

I've heard this was one of the most film noir movies that Hitch did and I'd have to agree with it with all the dark footage and the general plot, and apparently this is a favorite among French New Wave directors, whatever that's worth. I say that even if this is a relatively obscure film, if it sounds interesting then it is worth tracking down.

I'll return Wednesday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment