Friday, September 5, 2014

Commando

Commando (1985)

Runtime: 92 minutes (the slightly different director's cut)

Directed by: Mark L. Lester

Starring: Arnold Schwarzenegger, Rae Dawn Chong, Dan Hedaya, Vernon Wells, Alyssa Milano

From: 20th Century Fox

This was a movie I thought I reviewed for the site already but I looked and it turns out that I did not... so I figured tonight would be a good night to see it again and review it online. As I think I'll be watching old movies for the next week or two, something like this is nice to cleanse the palette. It won't be as in-depth as I know most people are at least familiar with the film if they haven't seen it before. I gave the movie 4 out of 5 stars and let me explain why, after the IMDb plot synopsis:

“A retired elite Black Ops Commando launches a one man war against a group of South American criminals who have kidnapped his daughter to blackmail him into starting a revolution and getting an exiled dictator back into power.”

Now, here's a film I've seen a number of times before and I decided (last night) was a fine night to see it again and review it for this site.

I admit that this is an absolutely preposterous motion picture, with a number of implausible or impossible things happening. In fact, someone on a messageboard created a list of TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY moments from the film that strain credibility, and many of them aren't inaccurate.

However, I don't give a damn as it is so entertaining and so fun. Maybe it's because I first saw this at likely too young an age but I'll always enjoy this preposterous film, where you'll get what all action fans want, which is Arnold Schwarzenegger uttering many bad/good one-liners, cool setpieces and many sons of bitches dying or otherwise getting maimed.

My personal favorite quips were “I lied”, “letting off some steam” and “he's dead tired”. Really, it's so absurd and goofy it's hilarious; it's great as mindless and yet engrossing entertainment for a half hour if you love action and need your spirits lifted.

I do have to give special mention to the steel drum and saxophone-infused soundtrack from James Horner is really great (so is the end credits song We Fight For Live from Power Station) and Bennett... that has to be the most Ambiguously Gay character in motion picture history to the way he acts in general, especially around the hero John Matrix.

I'll return tomorrow night.

No comments:

Post a Comment