Saturday, September 13, 2014

The Naughty Flirt

The Naughty Flirt (1931)

Runtime: 56 minutes

Directed by: Edward F. Cline

Starring: Alice White, Paul Page, Myrna Loy, Robert Agnew, Douglas Gilmore

From: First National

I wasn't thinking of doing just one movie for tonight and it being a real short one; that's just how it turned out. And, it turned out I saw a bad film that thankfully was short. The IMDb plot description, then the Letterboxd review:

'Coquettish socialite Kay Elliott has set her cap for Alan Ward, an associate in her father's law firm. But while pursuing Alan, she must fend off the advances of a greedy fortune-hunter, who is aided and abetted by his equally voracious sister." Basically, she's an incredibly annoying flapper girl.

To be honest the only reason why I reviewed this is... the title does make me giggle, it co-stars Myrna Loy, it's only 56 minutes long and it was on TCM at the crack of dawn yesterday.

I did not think this was good. This was a tale of a girl that I'd call a manic pixie dream girl; I may be wrong there but that's what I'll stick with. She parties all the time, is totally irresponsible, isn't that smart either and is just amazingly annoying... yes, as much so as Zooey Deschanel! Then again I knew I was going to be in trouble when the film started with most of the major players and others being hauled to court due to being inebriated idiots... and not even the funny kind either.

Anyhow, this is a tale where the manic pixie dream girl (Kay, played by mostly forgotten Alice White) falls in love with a dude, but as she's rich (or rather, her dad is) there's a gold-digging brother and sister duo who wish she would marry the brother instead for the money, and the sister was played by Loy. Things happen, and I was fine with the actors present; it's just the characters they played that were a drag; the majority of them do really stupid things that make no sense and it's just frustrating. At least I didn't waste too much time watching this.

Oh, and Kay literally gets spanked in one scene. Unfortunately it wasn't an Adrian Peterson-style spanking...

I'll return tomorrow night with something or another.

No comments:

Post a Comment