Saturday, December 29, 2012

Spaceballs



Runtime: 96 minutes

Directed by: Mel Brooks

Starring: Bill Pullman, Daphne Zuniga, John Candy, Rick Moranis, Mel Brooks

From: MGM

Looking through my pile of Blu-Rays I decided to pick out a film I have seen many times before, including on Blu-Ray during the time I have had this blog. Now it is the time for me to talk about what has to be one of my favorite films; I've seen this too many times to count, whether on VHS tape, on television, on DVD, on Blu-Ray, and even a few years ago, on the big screen when a joint in Orlando briefly showed old movies on the big screen during the weekend. The crowds when I went were rather scarse, so no wonder they stopped doing it. A shame, I say. At least I got to see this in front of a small crowd and we all laughed together at the whole barrage of jokes and humor. Sure, not all of it works but a lot of it does, and there are so many memorable lines (the majority of which I have memorized) that's why I am able to watch this without getting tired of the film.

I am sure that everyone knows the plot of the film, a spoof of Star Wars where the bad guys are looking to steal the air of Planet Druidia and the princess of the planet is also kidnapped by them, so Lone Starr and his sidekick Barf (a mawg, half man and half dog, he's his own best friend) have to do battle to try and rescue her. If you are a fan of the Star Wars series you should especially enjoy this.

I realize that there's a strong love/hate thing with this film, where people either have a fiery hot passionate love for this or they hate it with much fury and anger. Interesting, really. I can't explain why it's so polarizing but I am glad this is something I treasure and haven't grown tired of. Note that I have never seen Spaceballs: The Animated Series, from a few years ago. I presume that most don't know it even exists, and from what I have heard it is atrocious and a big shame given that Brooks was involved with it. If only they would have made Spaceballs 2: The Search For More Money.

I'll be back Monday afternoon where I'll talk about a few things.

No comments:

Post a Comment