Saturday, December 8, 2012

Blood Simple



Runtime: 96 minutes (the Director's Cut, anyhow, which is what I watched)

Directed by: Joel, Ethan Coen

Starring: John Getz, Frances McDormand, Dan Hedaya, M. Emmet Walsh, Samm-Art Williams

From: River Road Productions

I decided to do something different from the odd genre films I've watched the past few weeks. I instead watched this movie for the first time (I know, I know) due to it being shown last night on the MGMHD channel. I figured that was perfect for me as I had a feeling this would be the sort of movie I'd like from the Coen's, a duo that to be honest I usually don't care for.

The plot, even though I am sure most know it: A bar owner in Texas (Hedaya) discovers that his wife (McDormand) is cheating with one of his employees (Getz, he looks like a cross between John Ritter and Tommy Lee Jones). He asks a big lout of a private investigator (Walsh) to murder his wife and her lover for 10,000 bucks. But things really go awry as much confusion and misunderstandings happen-even with me a few times-and things get real hot and sweaty in the middle of nowhere, Texas.

Despite some moments that made me go “huh?” and I can't fully explain it, this was a film I did manage to enjoy quite a bit; I am glad I finally saw it. The movie certainly is great at such things as mood, atmosphere, tension... and sweatiness. Some guys sweat quite a bit in the Lone Star State. Walsh's character was definitely the most memorable. He was loud, obnoxious, boisterous, but also scary at times, although not as much so as Hedaya. He looked real angry and real creepy at times.

What is the most impressive besides the cast being small and yet the movie not being boring or how this was the debut for the Coen's is that there are long stretches of no dialogue and yet you never lose interest in the film. There's one stretch in particular that is like longer than 10 minutes and while the only voices you hear is music and then DJ chatter from a radio station, and yet that was always suspenseful due to what was going on. The score and various sound effects (even the loud motion of ceiling fans) always made things interesting and helped make things not dull.

As this was the Director's Cut (which is actually a few minutes shorter than the original version) it allowed them to be able to use the Four Tops' It's The Same Old Sound to memorable effect; they weren't able to do that for rights reasons since it was originally in theatres. Like I said, it was about time I saw this.

I'll be back Monday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment