Wednesday, December 12, 2012

A Lonely Place to Die



Runtime: 99 minutes

Directed by: Julian Gilbey

Starring: Melissa George, Alec Newman, Ed Speleers, Kate Magowan, Holly Boyd

From: Carnaby International

Here's my return to watching something in the horror/thriller genre, as it's been awhile. This is a movie I've known of for awhile as various people on messageboards have plugged it. I just haven't felt like watching it, until last night. It was on a TMC HD channel so I figured that was the perfect time for me to check it out. That was a good decision to see it in HD, as you see quite a bit of real pretty Scottish scenery. You see, this is a UK movie concerning a band of mountain climbers who are in Scotland and want to do some hardcore climbing, but...

They are about to start climbing when they hear a little girl's voice out of nowhere, and turns out, a Serbian girl who doesn't speak a word of English was buried alive in a wooden box but with water and a pipe for air; they dig her out and soon have to run for their lives as they are under attack from the people who buried that youngster.

I'll say that the mountain climbing footage you do see is all well-done, tense, and exciting. Unfortunately you don't see enough of that. At least you do have the aforementioned Scottish scenery. The first half I really enjoyed; besides the area and setting, there are many tense and exciting moments along with getting to meet the main characters, including the bad guys.

The second half, though... things change, and not necessarily for the better. More characters are introduced, things become real confused at times (at least for me), the tone and even the setting changes... and yeah, while there's nice stuff in the second half, overall I think that sinks things and while I didn't hate the film at all, I was disappointed with how it turned out as until that point things were going real well. Even if you didn't want to change any of the elements in the story, if things would have been made clearer, some things cut out and maybe not so many characters then I think things would have been better for sure. But, many people seem to enjoy the entire film so it's always possible I just have weird tastes. If only I could have rated this as high as I do The Descent.

I'll be back Friday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment