Monday, December 24, 2012

Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale



Runtime: 84 minutes

Directed by: Jalmari Helander

Starring: Onni Tommila, Jorma Tommila, Tommi Korpela, Per Christian Ellefsen

From: Cinet

Here is something I've had in my collection for awhile but have never watched... until now. What a better time to do it than on Christmas Eve, given that this Finnish tale is a rather bizarre tale where on Christmas Eve, a boy and his reindeer-herding father deal with the ramifications of a group of English-speaking men searching and finding the corpse of Santa Claus, who is actually evil! See what I mean about this being bizarre? And I don't think I need to say that the corpse doesn't stay a corpse for long...

I pretty much already told you what the plot was. It takes place in Finland and I don't want to give too much away but it is centered around a young kid and his rough and tumble dad; he's a single parent too, so you can figure out what the dynamic is then. The kid hangs out with an older boy who is also the son of a reindeer-herder. The characters act like what you'd expect and none of them you hate, even the gruff and sometimes rude parental figures. I don't want to reveal much more as a lot of fun is finding out what's next, as there are various surprises along the way and I'll leave it at that. It wasn't what I was expecting going in, which is both good and bad for various reasons. There is rather dark humor throughout, too.

Besides the strange story and the performances, there is also the pretty scenery. It is set in a rural village in Finland and it's a very pretty area, with plenty of snow-covered trees, snow-covered mountains, and well, snow-covered just about everything. It sets the mood and almost makes you feel cold, literally.

If you want to see a one of a kind movie about Jolly Old Saint Nick that is unlike anything you've come across before, then check this out. I wouldn't say it's great as I've heard from some places, as some parts I can carp about, but it's still good and I can see why it's already become a cult hit.

I'll be back Thursday night. I hope everyone has a nice holiday season.

No comments:

Post a Comment