Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Ernest Goes To Camp

Ernest Goes to Camp (1987)

Runtime: 92 minutes

Directed by: John R. Cherry III

Starring: Jim Varney, Victoria Racimo, John Vernon, Iron Eyes Cody, Lyle Alzado

From: Touchstone Pictures

Yep, tonight wasn't a Netflix Instant night. There actually is a story why I chose the movie to watch. I've had it on Blu-Ray for awhile and in fact I've watched it since I've had this blog; I just decided not to write about it. However, because of a messageboard thread... really, that's the reason why. 

There's a poster in that thread who I haven't had much of a problem with, but this week through several comments he's caused an uproar. He insulted people who didn't enjoy the film Haywire, which I thought was unfair as that movie is definitely polarizing and for whatever reasons there are plenty who really don't like it. I think it's great but if you don't, that is OK.

Also, out of nowhere he bragged about having never seen a movie with the Ernest P. Worrell character. I thought that was a rather strange thing to be proud of. Sure, that character is goofy but he also is rather harmless. Many children around my age thought he was great... including me. I saw and enjoyed some of his films and I do fondly remember him from that and the various ads he was on back in the day. When he passed away in early 2000, I was definitely sad. I don't want to say that guy sounded totally snobby by making such a statement, but that is how it came across as.

Anyhow, the plot description from the IMDb: “A group of juvenile criminals is sent for vacation to Kamp Kikakee. The clumsy Ernest has to care for them, although he doesn't even know how to take care of himself. The other children at the camp show enmity against them, but the group knows very well how to defend themselves. They do also help the Indian owner of the camp when a brutal mining corporation wants to tear down the camp to mine a rare mineral.”

Yep, this movie concerns a campground for kids that is on sacred Native American ground; the main chief is Cody, who actually was Italian and pretended to be a Native American for his adult life. Say what you will about the deception, he DID do a lot to advance Native American causes so he should be commended for that even if he played “redface”, if you will.

The movie is silly and juvenile, but it is fine for kids and inoffensive for adults. This is the Ernest film I saw the most when I was young so it is the one I am most fond of and I remember a good amount of it from memory for the amount of times I saw it as a kid

It teaches some nice things to the youngsters now and in the future. The juvenile delinquents are nice to each other but they lash out when people bully them and unfortunately they treat Ernest like crap in the beginning due to his buffoonish ways. But, they come to learn that he truly cares about them and they change their tune. It also teaches a respect for Native American ways and culture and that's always cool.

For the adults, they can still enjoy the slapstick you see throughout the movie and encompasses much of the humor. It still made me chuckle as a guy who is about to turn 33 in a few days. Nostalgia is part of it but I still like this movie despite its faults. There's such wackiness as snapping turtles on parachutes being used as a weapon, along with an unstable filthy toilet. The people that are against the Ernest character, they can chortle and laugh at how large ex-football player Alzado (playing the greatly named BRONK STINSON) beats the crap out of our hero.

Oh, and I almost forgot, Ernest singing a very memorable but sad song, which shows off Varney's legit stage and theatre experience. Here's Gee, I'm Glad It's Raining.



I will return tomorrow night.

No comments:

Post a Comment