Saturday, March 9, 2013

For Your Eyes Only



Runtime: 128 minutes

Directed by: John Glen

Starring: Roger Moore, Carole Bouquet, Topol, Julian Glover, Lynn-Holly Johnson

From: United Artists

I wasn't planning on seeing this again last night; that's just how it worked out. Then again I don't mind watching this, as this is one of the best ones that Roger Moore did. After I review this I'll list in what order I have all the Moore Bond films. I already talked about The Living Daylights a few years ago so the next time I see a Bond film, it'll be Licence To Kill, definitely a late 80's action film, but I say that in a good way. I'll talk about all that sometime later, though.

This movie, it's definitely less outrageous than the last few entries in the franchise. While Moonraker made a boatload of money at the time, it wasn't a critical favorite. This was more subdued and was rather simple yet effective: Bond has to try and retrieve a British communication device that was stolen from a sunken ship before the evil Soviets or anyone else could acquire it and order the missiles on the British sub to fire upon the British. Along the way 007 deals with Melina Havelock, who is looking for revenge as her parents were killed by a hitman; as the dad was looking for the sunken ship, that's how Bond gets involved with her.

While it isn't as extravagent as the last few movies, it still is rather exciting and interesting to watch, with a fun story, some great action scenes, and nice scenery... and I don't mean Carole Bouquet, although I do think she is great to look at. You go from Spain (where Bond briefly sees a woman at a pool who in real life is a transsexual; the press made a big deal out of it but you only see her in one short scene; also, there's a great chase involving some Peugeot sedans chasing after 007 and Melina's Citroen 2CV; it's like an original Beetle in that it's small and has a low-horsepower engine; how that economical car gets away is awesome) to an Italian village in the mountains then Greece. All are pretty to look at and while this is a more serious entry (where you get to see 007 do some harsh things) you still have one-liners from Bond, which is always welcome.

Also, I did enjoy the groovy funky disco-esque score from Bill Conti. It was different from the norm but it worked for the movie and I thought it was rad. And I did laugh at the relationship between Bond and a female figure skater who is like 18 at the most and he actually resists her advances, probably to avoid seeming like a dirty old pervert!

Oh, and lol to the opening before the credits where James Bond dispatches of a guy whose face was never seen but obviously was supposed to be Blofeld. What a great middle finger to Kevin McClory, a guy who gave the Bond producers many problems for his involvement in Thunderball and then various lawsuits and his claiming to the ownership of the Blofeld character, which is why he hadn't been used since Diamonds are Forever and obviously they did not need the character any longer.

Before I leave and come back Monday night, here's how I rate the Moore films.

2. For Your Eyes Only

No comments:

Post a Comment