Thursday, March 28, 2013

G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra



Runtime: 118 minutes

Directed by: Stephen Sommers

Starring: Channing Tatum, Marlon Wayans, Christopher Eccleston, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Dennis Quaid

From: Paramount

Would you believe that I had never seen this film until last night? That is with me thinking that the sequel looked at least sort of interesting. From what I heard this original film sounded real stupid but I didn't think it would be agonizing to watch, and the sequel just looked better. However, at the last minute they moved the movie back to this weekend and along with many on the Internet we thought this was the height of stupidity; no matter it being Paramount or the A-holes that the crappy toy company known as Hasbro who made the call (and whether or not it had anything to do with Battleship being a massive flop on every level), it was such a waste of money to move it at the last minute and it really stunk of corporate bureaucratic BS (something that unfortunately happens all the time in Hollywood in recent years) and it left a bad taste in my mouth.

But not as bad a taste as the one I had when I saw this movie last night!

You likely don't need for me to recount the plot of how two soldiers named Duke Hauser and Ripcord (Tatum and Wayans; wow did they ever have a homoerotic relationship and it couldn't have been planned out that way; that's fine and all but I imagine those two characters having the red equals sign on their Facebook and Twitter profiles...) encounter the mysterious G.I. Joe organization, which secretly helps out the good guys in the world and is led by General Hawk (Quaid); they have to deal with the mysterious evil corporation known as Cobra. The MacGuffin they want is some “impossible technology”, but the less said about that the better.

Oh did I hate this movie. Now, I do remember watching the cartoon way back in the day, when I was real young. I sure as hell don't really remember much about it, though. I hope it wasn't as stupid and intelligence-insulting as this movie was. When the first thing you see after the company logos is that this is set “in the not too distant future” (next Sunday, A.D.? Should I really be reminded of Mystery Science Theatre 3000 while watching this?) and that the main technology everyone wants is known as “nanomites” and somehow it can eat through steel and they can be controlled via massive contrivances, I knew I was in trouble. But Holy Christ was this terrible. The story was just putrid and nonsensical. The worst kind of action movie, you know, one so dumb I can't even enjoy it due to how insulting it was. Then there was the dialogue... the dialogue was horrible! They speak like no human does in real life, the alleged jokes weren't funny in the least, and you see “impossible technology” throughout... they would have been better off saying, “This is set in an alternate universe” in the beginning instead of reminding people of MST3K.

While the computer effects look good (even if I was often reminded of a PS3 or Xbox 360 game) and the action was usually fine, and the women in the cast weren't bad-looking in general, the movie was just way too stupid and intelligence-insulting for my tastes. I have a feeling many action fans will disagree but this just was not an enjoyable movie at all for me to watch. I've mentioned it before but I don't always hate extraordinarily stupid action movies; look at my review of Fast Five. This G.I. Joe movie was just no fun for me. Then again maybe I expected too much from a film which has characters named Storm Shadow, Baron di Cobray, Dr. Mindbender, Heavy Duty, and my favorite in HARD MASTER, but I still stand by what I say.

Lord I REALLY hope the sequel is better than this and isn't so damn stupid. I'll be back Saturday afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment