Saturday, April 6, 2024

Catching Up... Planet Earth II

I actually posted this review of the second installment in BBC's great documentary series almost two weeks ago yet just now I am posting here now because I saw no movies last night due to going out for some drinks instead: 

Back in 2019 I wrote a relatively brief review for 2006’s Planet Earth, a groundbreaking series shot in HD (back when that was revolutionary) and something I’m happy to have on physical media. Nature is a topic of interest for me anyhow and I was fascinated between the footage, the narration-what I remember from the job Sigourney Weaver did in the version aired on the Discovery Channel, she was fine but the original from David Attenborough was preferable-the stories told and the music. Despite that opinion, I was me so despite having Planet Earth II on UHD discs for a long while, it wasn’t until yesterday that I saw this in full.

Henceforth, all six episodes were watched in a row and the sequel was just about as great as the original. The images were stunning in 4K as the same formula the viewer saw in 2006 was just as effective here as more stories were told, more animals were shown, whether on their own, in combat with each other or in symbiotic relationships with other species, etc. It was still a treat to learn of all those animals living in different environments across the world, buttressed by a dynamic score from Hans Zimmer. Even the episode devoted to critters living in cities-which I had a reservation or two about beforehand due to the setting-turned out quite well.

I am aware Planet Earth III is a thing; one day in the future that UHD release will be purchased… and unlike on this occasion, it won’t be sat on for months and months before full viewing. Now that normalcy has returned to my world, the usual variety you might expect from me will return. A few new theatrical releases will be watched the last days of this month (or perhaps the first week of April) but otherwise my schedule is back to normal. In fact, a theatrical experience is tonight which is why this review is posted a little earlier than typical.

No comments:

Post a Comment