Monday, April 15, 2024

Naked Lunch

Naked Lunch (1991)

Runtime: 116 minutes

Directed by: David Cronenberg

Starring: Peter Weller, Judy Davis, Ian Holm, Julian Sands, Roy Scheider

From: 20th Century Fox

What a memory from my college days this was. I’ve had this on Criterion Blu-ray for awhile now; it wasn’t from the last flash sale they did but the one before that, where I was able to combine it with a discount due to my Criterion Channel subscription. At the time it was impossible to stream legally in the United States; now, it is on Max but as that could vanish at any moment and this was something I only saw in college (more than 20 years ago).

To clarify, back in those days, me and a pal sometimes would watch and laugh at bizarre cinema. I’m talking about the mild oddities like Blue Velvet to stranger movies like Fritz the Cat, Meet the Feebles and Naked Lunch. Of course we would laugh at a film involving people getting high on bug powder and giant talking insects. I never gave this another shot until last night. Note that I’ve never read the William S. Burroughs novel The Naked Lunch, nor anything from the author for that matter.

The movie is still bizarre but at least I better appreciate the filmmaking craft behind it; that includes the performances, the obvious green and yellow color scheme, the musical score from Howard Shore where Ornette Coleman tracks are also used, etc. Surreal movies aren’t always my jam as I’ve elucidated upon in the past. Yet, I can probably rationalize plenty concerning what this weird journey was really all about. The writing process, drug addictions, homosexuality (the movie also used other Burroughs stories along with moments from his own life), and other moments I don’t want to spoil… the WTF effects (including bug typewriters!) do look rather swell. 

All the metaphors aside, due to the first experience I’ll always laugh when I think of Naked Lunch and its unreal elements. The soliloquy that Peter Weller (what a performance) delivers while driving on a foggy road alone… and I understand it was taken from the Naked Lunch novel; I’m unsure if it is an enticement to read it myself! The rest of the familiar faces-Judy Davis, Ian Holm, Julian Sands, Roy Scheider-do a swell job but Weller was the highlight w/ his deadpan performance. Much to my relief, the movie is strange without the plot becoming so obtuse it becomes impossible to comprehend.

The thousands of movies I’ve seen between my college days & now (including more Cronenberg) have prepared me to fully appreciate Naked Lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment