Monday, April 29, 2024

The Cremator

The Cremator (Spalovac Mrtvol) (1969)

Runtime: 101 minutes

Directed by: Juraj Herz

Starring: Rudolf Hrusinsky, Vlasta Chramostova, Jana Stehnova, Milos Vognic, Zora Bozinova

From: Barrandov Studios

Not only do I discuss something from the Czech New Wave (a world I’ve barely dipped my toe in), but the improvements made to the Criterion 24/7 channel on the Criterion Channel app. Yes, you still need to visit a separate webpage to learn what is playing-which is the worst possible way to present the information-but that page at least now gives a link to the movie AND more importantly for those waiting to tune in for the next film, the remaining time of the film now playing is listed. This is how I tuned in at the right time, waiting to see what they’d show. As The Cremator I’d heard of before, I gave it a shot.

The movie is typically described as a “black comedy horror film”; now, both genres are totally dependent on personal taste but I thought the titular character’s actions were horrific while there wasn’t much laughter aside from the wacky bickering couple that randomly appeared on several occasions. After all, our lead (Mr. Kopfkingl) believes in Buddhist teachings and loves to espouse that the hereafter releases people from the torment of mortal life on Earth via reincarnation yet is a fool who is easily swayed by a pal into embracing Nazi ideologies when Germany invades what was then known as Czechoslovakia in the late 30’s. Without getting too political here, you can understand why I’d be reminded of modern times and-to use an example that is less likely to cause controversy-some would believe the outlandish conspiracy theories that Alex Jones spouts.

What elevates the movie into something special: the editing and cinematography. It was typically claustrophobic close-ups which added to the uncomfortable vibes; the flashy (without being distracting) editing kept me entranced through the movie despite its increasingly uncomfortable plot. The Cremator is one of those movies I only need to experience once but I’m glad it was experienced. If possible I’d like to far in the future see more from director Juraj Herz; he was a Holocaust survivor and well, a key subplot is Kopfkingl also being swayed to believe all the horrible stereotypes of Jewish people. You can imagine why the Nazi party would be interested in someone of his talents… yes, the movie spells that out; that is brought up for anyone reading this of the Jewish faith.

The dichotomy of the lead character and the oft-repeated phrase “the banality of evil” could make this a double-feature w/ The Zone of Interest; it’s not a movie I’ve seen so I can only speculate on this. One Letterboxd mutual compared it to the movies of Haneke, a comparison I again can’t confirm but many will understand. Regardless, my toe should be dipped more often into the wild, sometimes wacky world of the Czech New Wave.

No comments:

Post a Comment