Thursday, April 25, 2024

Spider-Man 2

Spider-Man 2 (2004)

Runtime: 127 minutes

Directed by: Sam Raimi

Starring: Tobey Maguire, Kirsten Dunst, Alfred Molina, James Franco, J.K. Simmons

From: Columbia

Seeing the movie for the first time on the big screen was rather delightful. What I mean is: it had never been watched by me before last night, as shocking as that admission will be for many. It’s my ambivalence towards comic book movies in general (and yes, comic books), not a dislike for Marvel or preferring DC instead. Yet, this is the most beloved Spider-Man movie-live action, that is-and the source for several memes. As I returned to Disney Springs and the same large auditorium as last Wednesday for the first Spider-Man, even more people attended; the hottest ticket in town, it was.

Right away, I can admit that there was more “comic book silliness” present, for better and for worse. Another science experiment gone wrong creates another supervillain? I could really be pedantic about some things… I’d feel grumpier than J. Jonah Jameson by doing so, so better not. Instead, all the positives. It was quite easy to root for Peter Parker, what with him being put through the wringer in the first half: struggling with his busy workload, unable to pay the rent, his faltering powers, etc. When there was humor not all of it landed but it wasn’t dreadful & constant like what started in the MCU and from what little I’ve seen, infected the DC Universe also. It was nice to see Peter seriously deal with his problems and in the standout dramatic scene, reveal an important bit of information to Aunt May that he’s bottled up for the past two years.

Doc Ock wasn’t seen as often as expected; that was OK as Parker’s drama kept me invested (you could say the film... spun a web that ensnared me) and the heel did shine when on screen. One of the most memorable scenes involved Ock; yes, it was when Raimi flexed his horror muscles. As the performances, score, and overall spectacle were all improved, I understand why Spider-Man 2 is so beloved when in addition Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst were great as Peter and Mary Jane. During the final act, all the moments that you’d expect to get applause received just that from my audience; this includes “the big kiss” and the cameo from a guy who I learned from reviews of the previous film is a DILF to some!

How much further I’ll go on the journey of Sony showing all their Spider-Man spectaculars… that is uncertain as of now. I imagine Spider-Man 3 would be a hoot for a variety of reasons but even the decision to see that next week is unresolved in my mind. Today, I am delighted that Spider-Man 2 wasn’t a letdown.

No comments:

Post a Comment