Thursday, May 25, 2023

Accident Man: Hitman's Holiday

Accident Man: Hitman’s Holiday (2022)

Runtime: 96 minutes

Directed by: George & Harry Kirby

Starring: Scott Adkins, Ray Stevenson (RIP), Perry Benson, Sarah Chang, George Fouracres

From: Samuel Goldwyn Films

RIP Ray Stevenson. I’ve only seen him in a few movies and none of his extensive television career but whether it be Punisher: War Zone or dreck like Paul W.S. Anderson’s The Three Musketeers & G.I. Joe: Retaliation, he was always a highlight. What will always be synonymous with me and him is his villainous turn in RRR. Thus, I was floored when Twitter was opened Monday afternoon while I was at a restaurant in Tampa and read that unpleasant news. Another film of his I saw: back late last year was 2018’s Accident Man, a goofy property based on a comic book which at least starred Scott Adkins and Stevenson was the acting highlight w/ his performance. It was a good time.

This time, Adkins is in Malta and various hitmen are after him; OK, it isn’t exactly that simplistic as he also has to protect an absolutely insufferable son of a Mafia boss but despite Stevenson (I wish there was more of him), Adkins, the action beats and the Maltese scenery, I was not as big a fan of this movie. Yet another modern trope I’m not a fan of is an in media res opening done for no reason, which is what we got here. The fact that this opening literally featured a guy dressed like a clown w/ “a brick on a stick”… this doomed the movie for me. The fact that it was followed up by some CG worthy of the SyFy Channel and my heart sank.

From there was too much stupidity and overall, the original movie was better. Another supporting character returning was nice and all but there is a bit of regret that this Stevenson film wasn’t better for me. Alas, at least I was able to note his death and also say that he was someone I’ve never heard a bad thing about so it is a bummer that he passed away a few days before reaching the age of 59.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment